Hi

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by poolboy79, Sep 19, 2007.

1. poolboy79

poolboy79 New Member

Hello all,

Im a newbie, and looking to get myself on the IT ladder. Thinking about aiming for a MCSA.

Thought I'd start with a question...

How long would a person with decent PC knowledge and willing to put in the hours study, expect to do the A+ and MCP in? ANd how long would you reckon it would take to get a first IT job, bearing in mind that I am a project manager and have a training background in non-IT sector? The quicker I can get a foot on the ladder the better!!

Lookng forward to getting loads of help and getting to know peeps on here!!!

Cheers :D

WIP: Thinking about MCSA
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello Poolboy and welcome to CF :biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

That's a hard question to answer, because it depends on the individual. how fast you can learn, what your financial circumstance are like and how much free time have you really got??

Have a look at this thread on studying A+ written by MrCheeks

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Getting the A+ and MCP are great for getting your foot in the door. Aiming for the MCSA is great. But going for the MCSA before you get experience is a bad idea. As long as you keep in mind that you should get experience before getting the MCSA, you'll do OK. :) Certifications won't automagically get you your start in IT. That said, they're helpful to get you noticed (to a point - get certifications relevant to your experience level).

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. poolboy79

poolboy79 New Member

Sorry. Realised after I posted that it may not be a staright forward answer.

I guess I could ask how long it has taken different people here to achieve A+ and then find work?

WIP: Thinking about MCSA
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi welcome

I am studying for the A+ at the mo but don't work in an IT specific role but have an interview soon.

As BM said certs will get you noticed but won't automatically get you a job.

Experience is what matters, don't go for the MSCA without experience otherwise you will do yourself a disservice as you'll find it even harder to get a job as you wont have experience.

I know plenty of people who are good academically but can't do a simple job because of the lack of real world knowledge and experience.

Do the A+ then try and find a job then take it from there.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Yeah the common consensus on this is your rate of study, your ability to absorb the material & apply it, your current financial situation, current work commitments etc.

If you where sitting down to study full time, you could probably get a few certs under your belt within a couple of months, if fitting the study around work and family commitments, it could take significantly longer. Best advice is to have a poke around the forum, see which cert your going to start with (normally A+ on here) and crack on with it. This will give you the best indication of timescales.

As always, the CF guys are here to help, so any questions along the way, please do post :)

Jodsclass

Certifications: BSc IT & Web Development
    WIP: MSc Advanced Computing, Oracle Cert
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  10. Morne Louw

Morne Louw Byte Poster

welcome

Certifications: ECDL, OCN Level 2 HTML, A+,MCDST,70-270
    WIP: MCSA/MCSE
  11. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security