Hi There

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by hollowaysbluearmy, Mar 30, 2005.

1. hollowaysbluearmy

hollowaysbluearmy New Member

Hello,

I am new to this forum. A bit about myself. I am a dissatisfied civil servant who is looking to make a career change. I have been interested in computer for a while and have been looking at a carrer in IT. I have recently been looking at getting an IT qualification for an eventual move into the IT industry.

I have spoken to NITLC and I have Computeach coming to see me. My main concern is whether I can trust these providers or not? Are they legitimate or are they likely to rip me off?

Are the qualifications they are offering worth the paper they are written on? I am being advised that the MSCE is the course for me?

If anyone has had any experience with these providers or have any opinions on this matter feel free to let me know. I don't want to waste £5000.

Cheers.

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi hollowaysbluearmy, and welcome to CF.

Yes, if these companies are offering industry-standard certifications, like A+. MCSE, CCNA, etc then they are worth the paper their written on, but note that just a single cert (eg A+ or N+ or MCP) on it's own is unlikely to grab you an IT break. It's more a case of combining certs to gear yourself towards which area your most interested in.

As for paying 4-5 large for courses, then have a look through our Training & Development forum, as there are numerous arguments for going the self-study route, or using a training provider, or even a combintaion of both.

Sorry not to give you one great answer, but if you have some time to spare, and are serious about IT certs, then have a look around - there's a whole load of great advice and good people here, all willing to help you achieve your aims.

Hope that helps, m8 :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to the forum from me too :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. hollowaysbluearmy

hollowaysbluearmy New Member

Cheers,
    Thanks for the advice.

I will look at the training and development link and see what it says.