hi there

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Rodd, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Rodd

Rodd New Member

newby here, just assessing(sp) the situation and looking to get in the IT business if its possible?

I'm currently doing an ECDL with learn direct, not IT i know but its a step. I used to work in a shop building pc's and really enjoyed it, not sure if theres a job out there doing the same or similar?.
    Ideally i'd like a support roll looking after networks or diagnostics...again not sure if theres much out there in that line of work though.

so, how hard is it to get into and how much does it pay when your there......is it all worth it??????? :biggrin

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hi Rodd. Welcome. Glad you could make it. Is it worth it? Depends on how you define "worth". I did a career change in mid-stream and it took me about four years total to get my first full-time, decently paying job. I worked free-lance contractor before that and had a full-time slave job to get me through school and supplement my income.

I do have to say I love my current job...but it was a hard fight to get this far. It's worth it for me.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Loki30000

Loki30000 Bit Poster

hi rodd, Erm....well said trip :blink it looks like we're all in for a long haul if we want to better ourselves. :eek:

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: Home learning C++. Then VB and JAVA
  4. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hi there Rodd, and welcome to Certforums. As Trip say's, you have to define "worth it". If by worth it you mean the feeling of accomplishment and the love of your job, then yes, it is more than worth it. I wouldn't change profession for much, I love what I do.

Breaking into the IT industry is no easy task, expect to spend the first few years working for pittance, little respect and lot's of hard work. The industry has been flooded in the past few years, and competition is fierce, however, keep at it, and it will happen, maybe not overnight tho. One of the huge misconceptions about the IT industry is that Techies are rich. There is money to be made, but it is not as common as it once was. Expect to put the time in before you get a decent wage.:cry:

and @ loki, your right, we're in for the long haul lol. The rate that Technology emerges and updates is amazing, so trying to keep up with that, as well as certify and re-certify, the road is never ending.

Now, the above may or may not seem bleak to some of you, but what I am trying to say is that altho being an techie is no easy task, talk to any of us who work in the industry, and we do it because it is what we love. I personnaly don't do it for money (althought that would be nice), fame or status, I do it cause I love it, and I look forward to going into work everyday.

I hope this answered some of your questions, turned into a bit of a ramble lol, you'll learn that I like to go on and on lol

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Rodd - a warm welcome from me too [​IMG]

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi from me to Rod welcome to the forum

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Welcome to the forum Rodd.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. Rodd

Rodd New Member

Thanks for the warmest of welcomes guys, really pleased i found this place, it feels cosy already.... :biggrin

9. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome from me too. Make yourself at home. :) Si

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...