Hi there! New member after some MCDBA/MCTS/MySQL advice

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by dhorton, Jan 17, 2006.

1. dhorton

dhorton Bit Poster

Hi folks,

I'm, after some career advice...

Seriously considering getting myself MCDBA certified...

Currently not my not my main role at work, but use SQLserver 2000, and I'm wanting to further my skills in this area.
    Looked at doing a course with National IT Learning Centre (at a cost of around £3k) but would prefer to do it off my own back and save a load of money. In peoples experience, is it feasible to 'teach yourself'? Are there sufficent resources available to do so?
    Would it be more beneficial to undertake the new Microsoft Course, i.e the MCTS for SQL server?
    As I 'tinker' with MySQL at home, do people believe this is an avenue worth going down?

In a nutshell, I'm wanting to gain formal recognition in the use and development of relational databases in the most cost-effective manner to help further my career prospects.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,

Dom

Certifications: Business Objects CR, MCTS SQL Server
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! I think we have a MCDBA or two here and they will be along soon im sure. Since you using SQL Server in the enviroment already it could mean you have a head start and self-studying could be a very good alternative! Just the one thing I have picked up from the MCDBAs here is that you will eventually buy tons of books! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi Dom. Welcome.

One of the most useful things you can have if you choose the self-study route for MCDBA is SQL Server.
    Or is that obvious?

There are loads of good books available. Start by searching by exam objective like '70-228' rather than by 'SQL Server'. Those books will be closest to the exam curriculum. You can then expand on areas that you feel need more explanation, but by then you'll know what you are looking for.

I found the MS press book excellent for 229.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

As I don't deal with databases I cant really say anything more! :biggrin

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Dom,

Welcome aboard, glad you found us.
    Good luck with SQL and hope it takes you to where you want:)

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. dhorton

dhorton Bit Poster

Hi,

thanks for the welcomes,

with regards to software, I have access to SQL server 2000 at work and would need to pursuade them that it would be mutually beneficial for me to be allocated time to undertake development and training! From peoples experience would the 'Developer' edition be of use as a test rig at home?

7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If you buy one of the MS Press books they usually come with an Evaluation version of the Enterprise edition that is good for six months of use.

8)

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, dhorton. Welcome to CertForums. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Muir

Muir Bit Poster

Hi dhorton and welcome. I'm currently doing the MCDBA course so I can give you some insight, I haven't progressed too much as I've also been doing exams for my MCAD. You really do need a copy of SQL server to get some 'hands on' experiennce of the SQL and Enterprise Manager techniques as most books cover both ways of implementing a particular feature. I'm currently using Sybex MCSE SQL Server 2000 Design study guide, which covers exam 70-229 and I think for the MCDBA there is a total of 4 exams, so you will need quite a few books.

Certifications: Degree, HND, MCP (305, 306, 229)
    WIP: MCDBA
  10. dhorton

dhorton Bit Poster

Thanks for everyones responses, much appreciated.

Anyone have any insight into the new MS certifications (MCTS et.al)?

cheers,

dom

11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

They'll go live this year.

You can get to be an MCITP in SQL 2005 by following one of three tracks: Database Developer, Database Administrator or Business Intelligence Developer.

Each one is only three exams, the SQL MCTS 'foundation' is the same for all three (70-431).

The track is obviously shorter and it cuts out the Windows Server and networking modules. However, having sat a beta I would say that your knowledge is probed a bit deeper than with current MCPs...

12. dhorton

dhorton Bit Poster

Hi JonnyMX,

Seeing as I haven't ventured down any avenue yet, do you reckon the 'MCITP in SQL 2005' route would be the most advantageous?

thanks,
    dom

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi dom and welcome to CF.

Jonny where are you :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there dom and welcome to CF. :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  15. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Hello :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  16. dhorton

dhorton Bit Poster

Further update...still progressing with the MySQL stuff at home...finding it quite hard to motivate myself after a days work sat in front of a PC! At work i'm undertaking more VBA development work and also Using the Express editions of MS Studio and MS SQL Server. My first step now to MS certification will be the 'MCTS: SQL Server 2005'.
    Has anyone on this board undertaken this exam and can they recommend decent study material?

Look forward to hearing from you,
    Cheers,

Dom

17. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Welcome To CF Dom 8) !

18. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Ooops. sorry, missed this one!
    Must have been one of those days when Wizard replies to every thread for a month all in one night and there are about 500 new posts to read the next day!

:D

I personally would advise against SQL 2005 at this point because no-one is using it.
    I'm sticking my neck out here and would say that, despite what people believe about the IT industry, we like things that are tried and tested. It isn't a case of 'IT moves really fast and anything yesterday is out of date'. That might be true of mobile phones and iPods, but not business enterprise.

I think there will be a big demand for MCDBAs on 2000 who have an awareness of 2005 and can help and advise on migration to 2005.

Again, everyone is using 2000. New companies may consider starting out with 2005, but muy guess is that most consultants will advise them not to...

19. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Jonny I like to keep you on your toes :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  20. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sure do, mate!