Hi There! Attempting a comeback...

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by lyndonw, May 13, 2007.

1. lyndonw

lyndonw Bit Poster

Hi

Im Lyndon and up until about 6 years ago I worked as a Novell Network Engineer (CNE certified).

I left the industry due to a number of factors and ended up in the hospitality industry, which I now detest!

Im hoping to make a comeback, probably as an application developer (my strongest college grades from my BTEC Computer Science course were in programming)

I've had contact with a company called IT Futures Online (also calling themselves Computer Futures Online) who are offering an internship following a payment of around £2500, to train me an offer work experience to MCAD.NET, Biztalk and MCDBA level.

Im also considering the self study route as this is how I originally got my (now-lapsed) CNE certification many years ago.

I dont have a massive budget and to be honest the internship will take almost my whole budget, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Lyndon

WIP: CCNA
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to the CF forum and yes I'd advice you go the self study route to save money as well as learn properly. Get yourself an MS press book on the subject matter your interesting in and then go through the book making sure you carry out all the practices in a test lab environment. Basically, setup a few PC's for this or use a virture OS like Virtual PC or the very renowned VMWare Server edition and they are both free for download.

After you have done the above I'd advice you get a test prep like MeasureUP or Transcenders to gauge your knowledge and to see if you can tackle the real exams.

Best wishes, but whatever you decide stay away from those companies that promise to train you and then place you in a job they are only after the fees you'd pay them for a job that does not exist. Read some of the other post in this forum about this issue.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Good to meet ya.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. lyndonw

lyndonw Bit Poster

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

I think Im going to go the self learning route after a bit more reading.

I've ordered a few MS Press books from Amazon, so I'll keep you all posted as to how I progress.

WIP: CCNA
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Lyndon. Welcome to CertForums. :)

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF, we'r mostly self studiers here so welcome to the club :D

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012