Hi Please help

Discussion in 'A+' started by devip, Nov 11, 2004.

1. devip

devip Bit Poster

ADMIN EDIT: Copyright material edited out from post. PLEASE make yourself aware of our guidance for posting course material, to be found at the top of this Forum.

Thank you for your co-operation.

CertForums Staff.

2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

As to the first, your choices look good to me.
    With #2, it also looks good.

The choices are what I would have chosen too.:oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

id disagree with you guys on the first. with the exception of the decrease in size from 5.25 to 3.5" drives, hard drives are always the same physical size (for internals, otherwise they wont fit into the drive bays), and the voltage on EIDE drives are always the same, using a molex power connector!

the newer drives are capable of higher data transfers, and so have larger buffers to cope, and they also are (sometimes) capable of doing so at lower temps.

you dont say how many choices you have to make for the first question, but assuming that since the second states to pick two, then the first should only pick one. ill go with
    D - larger onboard buffer!

Thats MHO

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I thought the same Fergal until I re read and re re read the q, and saw the difference between a PC card hdd and a typical eide hdd.:blink

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. Fergal1982

you mean a PCMCIA card HDD????????

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Have you not come across these in the A+ book, Fergal ? They were certainly in my (Noah's Ark) Edition of Meyers A+. From memory, I recall that PCMCIA HDDs are Type II and Type III format only.

Open to correction as always :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. Firthy2002

Firthy2002 Byte Poster

Not Type II, just Type III.

Certifications: None currently
    WIP: CompTIA A+ & Network+
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

My bad - thanks for the clarification, Firthy :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. Peter

Peter Byte Poster

I am not 100% But that is what I have put.

Which of the following characteristics usually distinguish a newer PC card hard disk drive from a typical EIDE hard disk drive?
    a. Lower voltage
    b. Smaller operating temperature range
    c. Smaller dimensions
    d. Larger on-board data buffer.

I think that the answer are A and C.

2. Your computer includes a system board with 2 EIDE interfaces and a Fast SCSI host adapter. You want to use one of the EIDE hard disks as the computer's boot device; the system currently boots from the SCSI hard disk that has a SCSI ID of 0. What changes should you make to the computer's configuration so that it can use a specific EIDE hard disk as a boot device? (Select 2 choices.)
    a. Verify that no other device is competing for IRQ or I/O address resources with the host adapter.
    b. Ensure that the SCSI hard disk is not configured in the computer's CMOS settings.
    c. Ensure that the physical ends of the SCSI chain are terminated.
    d. Changethe ID of the SCSI hard disk to 3.

I think that the answers are A and D.

Certifications: Elec & Eelc Eng A+
    WIP: CCNA-CCNP
  10. Fergal1982

no jak, i had heard of the PCMCIA cards before, its just if someone said an HDD card, id think about the PCI controllers, and since it said hdd card drive it just threw me off! the mention of EIDE also threw me off a bit too! lol

Fergal