Hi people how is everyone

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by David Coffey, Feb 12, 2020.

1. David Coffey

David Coffey New Member

Hi all

I’m new here and just thought o would say hi. I’m currently looking to get into the industry but I really don’t know where to start . By trade I’m a electrical installation/maintenance and after speak with a colleague I was recommended the CCNA course as a good place to start. What would you all recommend and what certs are required to get into the industry and what certs should I be aiming for to make a success of it.

Thanks for your time.

JK2447 likes this.
  2. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

There's loads of low cost training for CCNA, don't waste money on a training provider. A good study book and video course will help you and use the packet tracer download from CISCO. Bear in mind there's going to be a new updated CCNA so make sure you get the right study books etc

David Coffey likes this.
  3. David Coffey

David Coffey New Member

That’s a great help thanks, I guess it’s a good course to start with then.

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Before you jump on in and start studying for the CCNA, the first question (that I would ask) is what area of IT do you actually want get into? As well as what your current level of knowledge is...

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
    David Coffey likes this.
  5. David Coffey

David Coffey New Member

I am basically a newbie and my level is that of a average guy but I am not 100% which area as I am still looking into it. I would like a change of career and IT is something I do enjoy but rarely have the time to dive into fully due to my current job, that’s one of the main reasons I signed up to the forum to gains advice from the guys/girls who are already in the know and have good experiences in the field.

6. shahlapirnia

shahlapirnia Bit Poster

You might want to look into comptia.org as well depending on your existing level of IT.

Some like to start with CompTIA and then move on to Cisco.

Certifications: ITF+, A+
    WIP: Network+
    David Coffey likes this.
  7. David Coffey

David Coffey New Member

T
    Thanks for the input I will go an have a look at it as this is something I would really like to do.