Hi peeps!!!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by greebo2007, Oct 28, 2008.

1. greebo2007

greebo2007 New Member

An hour ago I had a rep from NILC visit me at home. I am interested in the silver package and it would be cool if i could get some advice.

Firstly, is it common for the course starting at compTIA+ to Mcip to cost £4,600? The rep was actually quite realistic about the job situation, but it was encouraging to see the statistics of the increase in IT jobs since 07.

Secondly, the rep was talking about vista as the main operating system that would be used in the course. When browsing jobs criteria i noticed that the were more commonly asking for experience with windows 2003. Does this matter?

2. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

You'll get this from most people on CF but have you considered self-study? Its a hell of a lot cheaper than £4,600!!

As for studying Vista, when they mention Windows 2003 I would presume they are referring to Windows Server 2003. I would think at the moment most people are still using XP as the client rather than Vista and I've heard from a few other people that its better to study the likes of XP and then 'upgrade' to vista.

Sorry for the sketchy info, hopefully someone with a greater knowledge will come along shortly to confirm what I've said or tell me I'm talking nonsense :blink

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

To be honest if you are starting out in IT most people here would advise to go for A+, Network+ and the MCDST (In windows XP) as they are much more appropriate to give you a great foundation for your career.

If you become certified to MCSE level without any commercial experience you will find it hard to find work, as employers want experience, especially for the roles an MCSE should be doing, and the jobs you could get with A+/Net+/MCDST will not want you because they will feel you are using them as a stepping stone.

My advice would be to do the lower level certs, and work for a year in a windows based support role, then go for MCSA, that way you will be able to progress your career, and have around 4K more in your bank.

Also welcome to the forum, and keep posting questions :)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Okay... there are several factors in play here... and I'd like to separate them out.

First, you don't need a course to study certifications. You can if you want... but it's by no means necessary.

Second, they're trying to sell you as large a course as they can regardless of the impact the certifications will have on your career. In truth, you shouldn't pursue advanced certifications until you already have real-world IT experience. Getting advanced certifications too early can make it MORE difficult, not LESS difficult, to get your first IT job. I'd recommend pursuing the A+, Network+, and MCDST, but no further until you get some experience under your belt.

...and by all means, don't wait until you are certified to start looking for your first IT job... start now!

Third... be very, very careful in believing "statistics" and "salary surveys". They can bend the data to say whatever they want it to say. For example, they may say that the average IT salary is eleventy-million pounds per year, but they might be looking at ALL IT jobs, not the entry-level ones you'd be qualified for... or they might be looking at salaries for jobs in the entire country, not for the area where you'll be working. There can be a sizable difference.

Further, there might be an IT skills shortage for experienced techs - the key word being, experienced (not certified, not educated, not trained, not degreed). But there's no shortage of techs at the lower levels. Getting your first IT job will likely be the hardest one you'll ever get. So... take those statistics with a HUGE grain of salt.

Fourth, most companies don't use Windows Vista as their primary OS; they use XP. Sure, Vista might be used... but XP's going to be the main one, and it's going to be around for a long while. Some companies still use Windows 2000 Pro!

Finally, Windows Server 2003 isn't a workstation OS like Windows Vista or XP... Server 03 is a server OS. And you're not likely to start out administering servers in your first IT job. So you really don't have to worry about getting those skills just yet. In time, they will be necessary... but not right now.

Hope this helps answer even the questions you didn't know you needed to ask. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what they said

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?