Hi new here but in need for some advice! people from NORTHERN IRELAND please read.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by rayox, Mar 3, 2011.

1. rayox

rayox Bit Poster

Hi guys joined this forum in January but haven’t posted anything till now, I’ve been thinking about a IT career in system support or Computer repair technician role but I need some advice I heard that the MCDST is retiring on June 30th this year and I thought it would be good idea to get this before it retires so I searched my local test centres I live in Northern Ireland, so I found two the BT training solutions and the prometric test centre in Belfast I’m new to these certifications but I’m learning from this forum which is great and full of information, but I’m unsure on how to go about doing these certifications such as where to go to take these tests but I had a look on BT training solutions and found this http://www.trainingsolutions.bt.com/courseoutlines%5Cm2272.htm but I’m unsure if this is the MCDST and they say you must have the compITA A+ and N+ before doing MCDST test, I don’t know about the prometric centre but would I still need to do the compITA A+ and the Network+ before I could do the MCDST if I went to the prometric centre? or would it be best to forget about the MCDST and start with compITA A+ and just go from there it would be great if people could reply that are familiar with northern Ireland and have took certifications in and around belfast and advice me in where to go any information would be greatly appreciated.

Certifications: none
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

Hi Ray,

I have taken the a+ exams in the BTtraining building, under Prometric testing. I hope to do the same with the network+ I am currently working towards.

What is your situation? Are you working full time or studying? The reason I ask is that if you are not working, you should ( with a little dedication and hard work) be able to complete the comptia a+ and then knock out the MCDST before June.

What is your experience with XP?

Welcome to CF btw!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  3. rayox

rayox Bit Poster

Hi thanks for the reply, I’m currently doing a NVQ level 2 in storage and warehousing on my last year and want to start getting some IT qualification and certs, I might be doing a city & guilds course on system support hopefully in June some time and will be looking for a part time jobs as well, I can afford to take at least one cert as I’ve been saving I’ve got good knowledge of xp but wouldn’t say I’m a pro at it, how hard would you say it is and would I be able to study for it within three months and then take the exam.

Certifications: none
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You do not need to courses and you do not need to be A+ and N+ certified before doing the MCDST but it would help.

You book your exams through www.prometric.com and you will find your nearest test centers on that site.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?