Hi, I'm new here

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Island3r, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Island3r

Island3r Nibble Poster

Hello I've just joined, so i'd just like to say hello and post my very first question (no doubt its goin to be one of many :) ), so here goes.

I'm studying for the MCDST starting with 70-272. My study material includes the examcram2 books and the Measureup CD that comes with it, and i've downloaded the free MS e-learning tutorial and i've got demos from Self Test, Ucertify and ITCertKeys which all have a few practice questions. I've got a very small budget hence the demos but i've got about 2 years desktop support in XP behind me. Does this all seem a bit OTT?

I would appreciate any study tips, hints, or anything. Look forward to hearing from u guys

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA 2003, MCTS: Windows Vista, Config, MCTS: Exchange 2007, Config, MCTS: Server 2007 Active Directory, Config, MCTS: Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, CEH
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Island3r. You might want to invest in one of the study tomes for that cert. The EC2 books are meant as "review only" and have never been intended to be your primary source of information. Also, as I recall, ucertify is a braindump site and as such you want to steer clear of them.

BTW, take a moment to pop up to the New Members Introduction forum and give us a proper 'hello". The gang would like the chance to welcome you to CertForums. Cheers. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! Ask away!

i dont know much about MCDST but simon has ( i think! :blink ) but ill add my cents worth... as far as i see the cram books are fine if you know XP inside out.. alot of people say MCDST is the 70-270 XP pro exam with support and customer facing questions which in that case if true and you dont have a through and through knowledge of XP you will struggle with the cram book.

I know MS press released a second editon to their books for xp but thats one for each exam and sybex has a guide for both exams in one book.. Try these links:
    Sybex
    MS Press

last but not least i think you might want to get a pc or two running xp pro (which is included in the ms press books BTW) so you can get more hands on relevant to the exams!

Oh and good luck! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  5. Island3r

Island3r Nibble Poster

Hey guys thanks for all the advice.

As well as the mention study material i've also got 2 PC's 1 running Xphome and the other running Xp pro, so I can see what runs on what.

so why r braindumps a big no no then?

here's a few more questions that i've seen other posts but just wanted to clear it up for myself, here goes:

1. in your opinion would u say that IE, MS Outlook and Outlook Express are the main topics in the exam with a few office questions thrown in for good measure?

2. If i do not pass the exam 1st time will the 2nd attempt be free?

I will look forward to ur response - thanks guys, i've been here for a day and ur already healping me loads :thumbleft .

I'm off to the new member forum now to introduce myself offically - laters

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA 2003, MCTS: Windows Vista, Config, MCTS: Exchange 2007, Config, MCTS: Server 2007 Active Directory, Config, MCTS: Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, CEH
  6. Island3r

Island3r Nibble Poster

:eek:

Hey again, i've just read the rules and guidance (i should have read it 1st :oops: ) and i saw the bit on braindumps - sorry if i broke the rules guys, it wasn't intended!

7. phoenix510

phoenix510 Byte Poster

Thanks for the advice as well I am also studying towards MCDST, I am using the Microsoft Press books and E-Learning are there any other recources out there that I can utilise without buying stuff that just repeats what I am already using ...Thanks..... Am also attending a 4 week A+ cse in September any tips for some prep for this course so i dont go in cold.

Certifications: ECDL, MOS WORD & Excel, MCDST
    WIP: A+ & 70-270
  8. Island3r

Island3r Nibble Poster

I attended a 7 day boot camp for the A+ and Network+ last year and we used the Mike Meyers Passport books. i also searched the web for free tutorials, i can't quite remember the names now, but if i do i will add them here. Goodluck

9. phoenix510

phoenix510 Byte Poster

Thanks island and you to

Certifications: ECDL, MOS WORD & Excel, MCDST
    WIP: A+ & 70-270