Hi I am New

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Irenicus, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Irenicus

Irenicus New Member

Hi I am wanting to do my A+ network+ Security+, MCDST,CCNA,MCSA/MCSE, CCNP,CCSP & MCSE:security. In that particular order. I hope to have that completed in a year. What order would any of you recommend. I have all my training material CBT nuggets and train signal ;).

Basically I wanna be specialized initially in networks and security.

I wanna do linux also wot certification would once recommend

2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

A miracle.

Seriously though... there's some high level qualifications in there and you need to study appropriately for each and every one!

Slow and steady wins the race...

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

Do you actually work in IT?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm assuming you're not yet in IT, as you mention that you want to be "specialized initially in networks and security".

That's quite an ambitious plan. And, with a lot of work, you might be able to pass the exams. But without the relevant amount of real-world experience, those higher-level certifications aren't going to do your career any good. In fact, having them can actually HURT your chances of getting into IT. You'll be way overcertified for entry-level positions, and you'll be underexperienced for anything beyond entry-level.

My advice would be to start looking for an entry-level IT job now, while you're studying for the A+. After you get the A+, add it to your resume/CV and keep looking. Continue onward with the Network+ and MCDST certifications... but no farther until you've gotten into IT and have started to build some solid real-world experience.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Thats like 20 odd exams :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  8. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF! 8)

***Cough*** I've been in and around IT for 18 years now, and I'm moving slowly towards MCSA and possibly MCSE... but, given I don't work in the areas that allow me access to the users and kit that MS recommends, I am taking my time studying at home after work.

As GBL says that's a lot of exams. You're talking one exam every two or three weeks.

Plus the ComPTIA exams are £110 plus each, and the MS exams are £88 per shot. Not sure what the Cisco exams cost, but you're talking serious money.

Plus any study materials: books, kit, software (although you can get trial MS software you can download).