Hi, help needed.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by redtiger, Mar 9, 2011.

1. redtiger

redtiger New Member

Hi,

Im new to the forum and saying hi. I have no IT experience or qualifications at the moment apart from a open university course I am doing at the moment and odd bits of knowledge I have gained. I want to learn a IT qualification with the hope of getting a IT support role in the future. I was going to try and learn the CompTIA or MCDST but the MCDST is becoming obsolete very soon so I cant do that now. So i was thinking that the first course / exam I do is the MS 70-680 Configuring Windows 7. Has any one got any advice on which course / exam to start with and suggested study material?. I have heard the MS book for the 70-680 has alot of errors in it does anyone know of a good alternative?.

Thanks.

2. NZ Kris

NZ Kris Nibble Poster

Hi mate, welcome to CF.

firstly the MCDST won't be obselete it will be retired. People will still be using windows XP and require desktop support for it. How ever unless you have a lot of time to commit to studying it maybe a little late to start that one now (but maybe you have plenty of spare time, prior knowledge?? you coulf possibly get it done).

I would start with A+ and N+ (actually i did start with those).

But as your question regarding the 70-680, in my opinion it does require a bit of previous knowledge and i wouldn't advise someone start with the 70-680. I have heard the vista client exam is a bit more entry level and most stuff applies to windows seven any ways i think its the 70-620.

I haven't actually done the 70-620 so perhaps someone who has can offer some advice :D.

Any ways welcome and good luck.

Certifications: A+ 2009, Network+, MCDST, MCTS, MCSA
    WIP: MCSA
  3. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Hi

Welcome to CF :D

The 70-680 is not an easy exam if you have limited knowledge and as you said the MS book is PANTS!
    I would start with A+ as this is an entry level qualifacation.

:biggrin

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  4. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF

I would also start with A+ as this gives you a good base knowledge

Good luck :D:D:D:D

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  5. redtiger

redtiger New Member

Thank-you everyone for your help. I have now ordered my Micheal Meyers All in One book I should recieve it by next week so I can get cracking with that along side my other studies. I did a couple of months ago start reading some of the Sybex book for CompTIA so I wonder how much I will remember from it.

6. NZ Kris

NZ Kris Nibble Poster

hey red tiger,
    - good choice on starting with the A+
    - good choice on the mike meyers book he seems to make a dry subject (lets face it computer literature is not always the easiest read) pretty interesting and readable.

also just thought i would let you know (perhaps you have read in other posts already) to check out professor messor's video nuggets at http://www.professormesser.com they are free and very well done, good to go with your books :D

good luck

Certifications: A+ 2009, Network+, MCDST, MCTS, MCSA
    WIP: MCSA
  7. ui900

ui900 New Member

Why not start at the beginning Try the Comptia Strata Courses. I find these as a great place to assess my students who wish to go on to A Plus and higher. If they cannot manage the Strata then it is pointless going any further with them in the Technicians direction anyhow.

One of the major problems I try to explain to anyone starting in "TECHWORLD" is that there are ten people out there creating new stuff while they are asleep so it is always catchup.

Certifications: Dip. DP and IT ECDL Mos APlus
    WIP: Linux plus
  8. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud