Hi guys

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by slyuen, Feb 14, 2006.

1. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

Just drop by to say hello, I've been reading discussions on this forum and I find them really helpful and stimulating.

You guys' inspirations helped me pass my A+ and Net+ exams, and I'm now working towards the last 2 modules of MCSA.

Studying IT has been difficult for me, mainly because I live in London, I work full-time to accomodate my living and courses, thus, asking for holidays off work is another reason why I find it difficult. Not because I'm not allowed holidays, but I suppose I would not tell my boss that during the holidays I've attended a course (which is totally unrelated to what I am doing, and which would help me change industry).

So far I've used reasons (fake) such as moving home, family business, and sometimes not even giving a reason etc.

Many IT training companies would use words like "flexible" training and "won't affect current job" to attract students, but these seem untrue to me as you have to take weeks for classroom courses plus a few half-day holidays to sneak out for exams.

So what to you guys do? I know some of you are lucky enough to be unemployed (have other financial supports), so you probably won't need to work full hours, and hence have less burden.

Anyway, are there any of you who share similar circumstances?

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, slyuen. Welcome to CertForums. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I emigrated, gave up work and studied, so my experience was different but I expect there are others around here that are in a similar situation :D

Welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I my case I have studied in my own time. The only impact on my job has been the exams. I have taken an 'extended' lunch each time, without comment. This seems to me the only point of possible trouble. You may need to present it as special 'shopping'.

I found it only extended my lunch hour by 20 mins usualy.

While the exams are somewhat related to my job, all efforts to get my company to support my taking these have failed, despite frequent promises of 'training'. So I have taken the view that I don't need to tell them about them!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF!

All of my studies have been in my own time, however in my last job as they needed me to be certified they gave me study time when we weren't busy.

8)

7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!!

umm i take the ebook on my memory stick are read up when i can but i havent lately... :rolleyes:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF [​IMG]

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009