hi guys

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by arj7, Apr 27, 2010.

1. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

Ive been looking for a job for sometime now and something quite promising came up but that ship sank unfortunately.
    Anyway Im a graduate I was wondering what salary should i be looking for, Im debating at whether i should just take anything for the sake of experience or am I selling myself short, Im primarily looking in the north west. It would be a first role for so I have no real experience, is £18-£22 realistic?

2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

In the North West, in this market? not really.

Being a graduate is likely to mean nothing in this market and a quick flick through CWjobs etc puts you more at 12k to 16k in the North West with no experience. I'm going onto a 100% server support role next week and I'm just over your top expectation.

When I was in Manchester in my 1st IT job, I was on 10k.

As for selling your self short, you don't really have anything to give apart from your degree, so what do you expect. Is 22k what you WANT rather than genuinely hand on heart expect?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
    Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. trebor_88

trebor_88 Byte Poster

i'd say expect 12k-16k for 1st line.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCITP:EDST, MCTS:7
    WIP: VMware VCP 5, MCSE and CCNA
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Per hour or is that £18 - £22k per annum?

Unfortunately it's Chicken and Egg time, without the experience you won't get decent wages, without a job you won't get the experience. If I were you I would get any job that gives you the experience to move onwards and upwards. Anything is better than nothing.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

If you want the money you need to go for the grad schemes or you the only other way is to slog it up, getting your certs etc.

If you can sell yourself well, have good examples to competency based questions + are good at the pyschometric questions you can look at between 20 - 35k.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  6. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

cheers for the feedback guys, even with grad schemes they vary from 18- 24 if your down south, if north its never more than 21-22.
    I hear what your saying experience is what counts, ive got a possible interview for a role in manchester that is providing 18, with the potential to progress through the company so i better bite their hand off!