Hi Guys!!!!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by djskb, Jan 18, 2009.

1. djskb

djskb New Member

Just a quick note to introduce myself.

I graduated with an I.T degree back in 2002 but ended up in the field of facilities management and using my I.T knowledge for sorting i.t related issues on the side.
    I recently got made redundent from my FM job and wanting to kick start my career in I.T again.
    I've had a meeting with Joskos and just I.T (their prices for training seem a little high for what they are offering). Just now a came across this web site: http://www.london-school.co.uk/comptia-aplus.aspx
    What do you guys think? Anyone heard of them?
    (i'm interested in the A+ and CCNA training for £990 (including exam fees)

Certifications: HND Computing, BA Hons I.T, N+
    WIP: MCP
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums ! :biggrin

If you have a read around you'll find a lot of us here recommend savng your money and opting for self-study so unless you're not focussed enough for that then you'll also find lots of threads about different TP's.

I suggest you have a good look BEFORE you part with hard-earned cash or start taking out loans etc.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

I would recommend, that if you do not want to self-study for the A+, to contact your local college as normally they will bundle the A+ with iPRO for a cheap price (due to government funding).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

Have you considered self study instead of the training provider route?

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. djskb

djskb New Member

Thanks for the response so far.

I have considered self study but i assume i will get more hands on experiance from a training provider and they are offering a work placement.

Certifications: HND Computing, BA Hons I.T, N+
    WIP: MCP
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Have a good read around the forums and you'll find that a lot of people have NOT experienced what the TP's have said they will provide. I'm not saying self study is the only answer or that all TP's are bad but you really should research thorughly before parting with what can be a lot of money for a very simple course.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome:)

I agree with UKDarkstar, do some research before signing anything.

You can get good practicle experience by getting an old pc which you can take to pieces and practice putting back together, you could also download a virtual computer program such as virtual pc or vmware and install on OS on it so you can practice on the operating system.

You can also build a virtual network. By doing all this you don't have to stick to a timetable for various classes you can do as much or as little as you want.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

The A+ is a good cert to start with. I'd recommend taking the N+ after though as the CCNA is a higher-level cert for people with at least a year's experience working with Cisco kit.

Good luck!

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642