Hi Guys! Quick question. A+ or MCDST?

Discussion in 'A+' started by tjm04, Oct 19, 2007.

1. tjm04

tjm04 New Member

Hi everybody.

I'm Tony. I've just signed up to this forum. I found it whist searching on google and it looks fantastic and very useful. It seems like there are some very experienced people on here.

As a starter, I'm currently taking the ECDL, which I've nearly finished. Somebody I work with did the A+ exam some years ago. He has given me his old study book (Faster Smarter A+ Certification) which I understand is now out of date (Its from 2003).

But through my own searching on the Internet, I'm led to believe that the MCDST certification is quite similar. Is this right?

Which qualification is the best to start with?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

A+ isn't vendor specific and as far as I'm aware with the MCDST, you don't even look at the innards of a PC. You would be better to go for the A+ first.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As Wiz says the MCDST does not have anything to do with the insides of a pc, its all about desktop support for Microsoft Windows XP etc

The A+ goes into how a pc works and the workings of the Operating System.

So A+ first for starters imo.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I would recommend home studying the A+ then the N+ and then MCDST.

Check the A+ forum for additional info regarding study materials and the exam format etc.

This will build your knowledge in a sensible progressive way.

Good luck.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A+ and MCDST. 8) ...but do the A+ first. Always get a strong foundation first... and take things one step at a time.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :) A+ is a great starter, you'll just have to shell out for a couple of new books first :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Hi Tony,

Welcome, as everyone has just said earlier A+, N+, MCDST in that order!

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hello and welcome to CF!

As mentioned above, A+ and MDCST are different. There might very few similarities. However it is good to do both the A+ and MCDST. It will give you a good base, like Michael said.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. sions

sions New Member

Hey there :) *waves*

I just surfed on to the forum and by golly!! The question asked was EXACTLY was I was going to ask!! woohoo, :biggrin

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+, Network+, MCDST
  10. tjm04

tjm04 New Member

Cheers for the advice guys :D

I will start with the A+. I will probably pop out and buy the updated A+ book. After reading the other threads it seems like the best one is the Mike Meyers 2007!!

Thanks again!

11. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Yeah Meyers Sixth Edition, its great! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012