hi guys! newbie breaking into industry ;)

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by revol_1987, Jun 3, 2008.

1. revol_1987

revol_1987 New Member

hi all.
    i'm new. i'm really motivated to become network administrator or engeener. i study for A+ at home while working in construction industry 60h/w. it's not easy as i get up 4am every morning for studying purpose. from september i'm starting degree course at midldlesex university. it's BSc Honours Network Managment and Security (that's full-time). i feel i'll be ready for A+ soon. next i want to achieve network+.
    is it going to lead me anywhere?!? any suggestions guys?!?
    what should i do/ how can i get any IT related job just for good start, to gain some experience?!?
    cheers
    krystian

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

The A+ and N+ are a good place to start as for job not many people go staright into a network admin job, people usually start out on a helpdesk resetting passwords or as a tech in small team within a small company have a look for entrylevel/trainee jobs for your first role once you gain some on the job experience then you will progress further into your more desired type of role.

Unfortuantely IT is crap pay for begginers these days but once you start progressing wages obviously rise.

Good luck :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Welcome :)

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  4. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Hi and Welcome

Look for Job > Apply for Job > Attend Interview > Get the Job...

You do understand that your degree will be quite challenging...don't you?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  5. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Revol,

I don't want to persuade you to NOT enter the IT field, as there is a shortage of QUALIFIED people, but I want you to realize what you are in for. You are not going to start in the IT field as an administrator. You'll most likely start on a help desk answering calls and resetting passwords. Then you'll move your way up the IT ladder. If anyone out there tells you that when you graduate you'll start at 100k/year (US funds) as an admin, they are lying!!!!

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  6. revol_1987

revol_1987 New Member

hi!
    thanks for so many replies.

i know it's long, difficult way to get my dreams come true. but i have to try!! i don't want to waste more of my time as a builder while i'm much intrested in IT. construction is boring way of saving up money. i also lern english in local college. but i decided to do something for myself and start develope my IT intrests. money isn't everything. i prefer to earn less doing something intresting than stay in job which i'm fighting with for rest of my life.
    it won't be easy. i know that. but i can't wait longer to give a try. we will see. i'll do my best.
    i read through 3 big books preparing for A+ so far (even this wasn't easy in lack of time). how can i check myself in meaning of being ready for exams. where can i find any on the net. i know that there are some. sorry for asking but i'm really busy. and will do researches like this (final preparation) after finish with last book.
    cheers
    krystian

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Got to take my hat off to you. It sounds like you have got alot of discipline and are going after what you want!

Keep plugging away on a daily basis and you will get to your destination.

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

what is your native language if i may ask?
    the reason i ask is that i have seen a couple of entry help desk jobs that were looking for foreign speaking applicants, the one that springs to mind was german i think.

WIP: A+
  9. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

what books did you read through? the best book for A+ is the mike meyers all in one 6th edition and that book actually comes with a disc which has practise tests on, failing that you can search around the internet for some, if you find any i would advise checking the sites on http://www.certguard.com to ensure they aren't brain dumps or cheating sites.

WIP: A+
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

hello Revol, I must say your very determined.

I was impressed to read your post. I think job statisfaction comes first in a job! (although it doesn't always pay the bills:dry)

There are several ways of checking if your ready for the exam you can buy Transcender tests or use exam cram books these have loads of exam questions in them. The other is if you have made some notes from your studies you could turn these into questions and test yourself or post them here on CF. They will not only help you but others in the same boat!

If you get a chance have a look at this thread (just click on the link to take you there)

10 Top Dos and Don'ts for Your IT Career

Whatever you decide good luck!:thumbleft

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  12. revol_1987

revol_1987 New Member

hi again. thanks a lot guys.
    my native language is polish. i resd through mike meyers all-in-one sixth edition exam guide as well as sybex complete study guide and exam cram third edition (i've got small bit left to read). next i'm going to read street smarts a real world guide to A+ skills. hope it'll be enough. i was the best in school in computer science, maths and english language. i've got a little experience but not as employed. just volountary help to friends, family, etc. and myself offcours as i really like to play with computers (finding something new about them). i hope i'll pass A+ at first attempt as i want to go back to my linux eperiments.
    hope that fact i'm polish won't make things more difficult, i believe it might help.
    i'll make it!!
    cheers
    krystian

p.s. good to have you guys ;)
    cf is brilliant

13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685