Hi from NI

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Asenath83, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Asenath83

Asenath83 New Member

Hi there,

New kid posting here from Northern Ireland here... well, not quite from up here but have been living here for the past 2 1/2 years. I am originally from Germany and currently working at a call centre in Belfast.

I already thought about doing some IT courses last year through one of those distance course vendors but thought they weren't really worth the amount of money they charge and didn't like their attempt to upsell up tp CCIE. I am also no fan of cramming stuff in my head just for the exam within 3 months and then forgetting half of it again so I decided that IF I decided to pay for a course at all it would have to be something reasonably thorough.

Bought two books for CompTIA A+ 2006 (Mike Meyers and Jean Andrews) and read through them in my spare time.
    Finally Belfast Metropolitan College had both this course and the Network+ on their schedule, so I signed up for both of them.

Bad timing that CompTIA updated the A+ last month during BMC's "summer break", I hope we will get to study towards the 2009 exam rather than the 2006 one but I guess I'll know more next Tuesday when the course actually starts. If not you'll probably find me pestering you guys about that bridge exam in a couple of months.

I just ordered the equivalent of the A+ 2006 books for Network+ 2009 as well and am waiting for the A+ 2009 ones to come out.

Once I finish these courses (next June) and have some energy left I hope to also do the Server+ and Linux+ ones. The DHTI+ looks tempting too... ah well, we shall see.

Best regards,

Asenath

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well, the old version of the A+ is still available - you don't have to take the new version. Nor do you need to; I have yet to see an employer ask which version of the A+ a candidate took.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Asenath83

Asenath83 New Member

Thanks!
    I am aware the old version is still available and valid but given that there's a gap of three years between them I'd be glad if we studied towards the current one. Learned the hard way to keep myself updated a couple of years ago ("Wait, those new mainboards have TWO power connectors?! And I thought mine was broken...").

That's why I am glad the Linux+ (and Server+?) are still in the process of being updated so when I am ready for those they should be all new and shiny... or something like that.

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Dude... really, how much has changed in 3 years? :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Asenath83

Asenath83 New Member

You don't know my luck!
    OK, to be more serious... I'll just wait and see and if necessary compare the two to see what exactly has changed and whether it's worth going for the 2009 one.

That said, I have downloaded the objectives and acronyms both for the A+ 2009 and Network+ 2009 exams from the website but wasn't happy how they was formated for printing as far as readability went so I basically redid them... I have no idea whether they would be useful to anyone else but woukd it be allowed to post them over in the CompTIA forums?

6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Welcome to Cert Forums!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I guess you would have to ask them that question :rolleyes:

Welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Asenath83

Asenath83 New Member

Thanks, I have read a few of your articles here already, really appreciate the work you have put into them!