Hi folks

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Reidy200, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Reidy200

Reidy200 New Member

I've not long started my A+ course with an on-line learning company,and i've noticed that the text books sent to me,tell me only what i need for that particular TMA.

This seems to easy,so i purchased CISCO's HP essential's for A+ learning,which was alot more in depth.

My question is does anyone have any tips for more books worth buying for A+ and later for N+,CCNA?

Many thanks,and hello again

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+,N+,CCNA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The most recommended books for the A+ are: PC Technician street smarts by James Pyle and compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers.

Welcome to CF.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Reidy200

Reidy200 New Member

Thanks greenbrucelee,i'll pick those up asap.

On a side note,I've read on this forum that jumping into CCNA could be a difficult step from N+,is there a better route into Cisco certification?

I've fallen foul of distance learning by the sounds of it.

Would i be better off starting a foundation degree?

Thanks again

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

I would actually say that unless you actually work with Cisco kit to stay with the Network+ & A+, and if you really want to do a Cisco cert, then take a look at the CCENT. One thing that I would like to point out is that every Cisco cert expires, the CCENT, CCNA, CCNP, etc expire every 3 years. Will you be working on Cisco kit within that time?

I am actually pro higher education, so I would say yes in conjunction with the A+ & Network+. A degree, no matter what type, will only help you in your career :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Reidy200

Reidy200 New Member

Thanks wagnerk.

I went into this believing what a salesman told me! :dunce

Im hoping to be using Cisco kit at work,but in these troubled times everything seems to be down sizing,so a move could prove to be difficult/impossible,so a foundation degree could prove the best option.I certainly look into CCENT,but aviod on-line companys like the mother-in-law!

Thanks

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Never do that without prior research, after all a salemans/salewomens job is sales... :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!