hi folks

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by jakemartin, Mar 27, 2008.

1. jakemartin

jakemartin New Member

hello i'm Jake and iv in the past month decided to change my career to IT. I'm 20 years old and fed up with my current job (warehousing), and am looking for some career advice from the people that understand (you guys). i have had nothing on my mind but this career change for the past month and simply cannot wait to get started . i want to take the networking path because it is what i enjoy most and feel i could pick up the whole prospect pretty quick :biggrin. well im sure we shall all interact at some point because i always like to help and always looking for some inside info. cheers JakeMartin

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: waiting to start A+
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi Jake, and welcome to CF.

You don't say what experience, if any, you have of computers or networking.

I would suggest that you start off by looking at the A+ and Network+, if you want to learn more and get a couple of entry level qualifications. In addition, both can be used as electives should you later wish to pursue Microsoft certification later on.

A+ and Net+ can be done via self-study, which means that you could carry on warehousing while studying/looking for an entry level role in IT.

Cheers

John

3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

welcome to the IT Crowd!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

The A+, Network+, MCDST path is the way to go. Until you get a bit of experience, that's about as much as you need to certify. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

The above-mentioned advice (Giddy & BM) will help you get started in the new career.
    Welcome to the forums…

8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. jakemartin

jakemartin New Member

thanks guys much appreciated and that pretty much is my plan but i don't know who to go through any suggestions?

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Go through yourself - save your money. Get a bunch of books, and study them.

For the A+, I'd recommend the A+ All-in-One Study Guide Sixth Edition by Meyers and PC Technician Street Smarts by Pyles (our very own Tripwire45).

For Network+, I'd recommend the Sybex book by Groth.

For the MCDST, I'd recommend the MSPress and Sybex books. Not sure which would be better.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

As BM said you can self study for those certs there is no need for a course, if you really must do a course look at your local college.

I am self studying for those certs and am taking both A+ exams on Monday then I'll start on the N+.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. jakemartin

jakemartin New Member

how hard is to teach yourself via these books, are they easy to understand and don't they chuck you into the deep end with jargon i understand what you would probably only consider the bascis :oops:

13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if you get the books BM mentioned for the A+ everything is explain in the books the Mike Meyers book comes with a CD thats has quite a lot on it including acronyms and terms in PDF format.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?