Hi Folks

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by GMCJones, Feb 21, 2008.

1. GMCJones

GMCJones New Member

Hi,

This forum looks like just what I need :) I dont have any certifcations currently but have been in IT for over 6 years and its about time I got some paper to back that up!

Here looking for advice on which quals might be best for me and hopefully to pass on some of my knowledge in certain areas.

Also keen to know the cheapest way to get theses qualifications :)

Regards
    G

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What do you actually do in IT?

as for the cheapest way to do any certs is to self study for them.

Welcome to CF

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

With 6 years of experience, you should have no trouble studying for several of them. :) And, as GBL mentioned, self-study is the cheapest (and, around here, the most advised) method.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF! 8)

What are you thinking of studying?

6. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Welcome to the forums GMCJones, as mentioned above the self study route is the cheapest way (and probably the most fulfilling!):D

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums and I agree with what's already been said.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. MutatedMatt

MutatedMatt New Member

Hi GMC,

I think I agree with these other guys - self study defuintely seems to be the way foward. I'm looking at doing some courses myself but the big IT trainers seem to charge an arm and a leg, so I'm going to try getting some books/CDs and doing it for myself to start with, and then maybe consider paying for a course if I'm struggling.

Good luck!

Matt

Certifications: None
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  9. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  10. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums...
    Here's another vote for the self-study method.
    6 years of experience will give you a serious advantage when trying to understand the material.

11. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  13. GMCJones

GMCJones New Member

Hi again guys.

GreenBruceLee: What I'm actually doing at the moment is kind of a software maintenance job. Our company manufactures PC, laptops, servers and uses the Avanté ERP system for generating quotes, sales orders and manufacturing bills of materials (BOMs). My job is maintaing the rules which sit behind the Q&A configuration system to ensure that only compatible products are available for our (non-technical) sales people to quote/sell and that only technically viable BOMs are generated to the factory. I also generate reports out of the underlying Unidata database and perform analysis on this. I write a lot of visual basic macros for excel and also code in Unidata within the ERP system itself.

What i dont have is any qualification which might suggest to a future employer that I have any skills whatsoever! So I need to get me some certification. I have no idea where to start though. I previously did second line support for a major ISP for a year and first/second line for a major retail PC retailer so I reckon (big headedly :)) that I can breeze through and A+ which I intend to get. I dont know what certs to aim for after that though.

Still that is why I'm here, to read around what other people are up to, and when I have some sensible questions to ask I'll be back to quiz you guys who knw a hell of a lot more than me :)

G

14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

N+ and MCDST then higher certs after those would be my opinion :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  17. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I tend to agree. Unless you have enough experience to look at higher-level certs, I'd go with GBL's advice and continue to get more experience in what you want to do.

18. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Welcome to the forum - and yeah, what GBL said :biggrin

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia