Hi Everyone

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by PC Busdriver, Aug 1, 2016.

1. PC Busdriver

PC Busdriver Bit Poster

Hi everyone, i am relative new to the PC world, I have recently passed my A+ and looking to further my career within the IT industry. I hope i can count on your useful and helpful support and i will try likewise to give useful help and advise where possible

Certifications: ECDL, BCS Level2 NVQ IT Users, CompTIA A+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
  2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Do you currently work in IT?

3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Welcome to CF mate

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. PC Busdriver

PC Busdriver Bit Poster

Hi, No not at the moment, i am busy studying Win 7, for the 70-680 exam, i have my ECDL and CompTIA A+

5. PC Busdriver

PC Busdriver Bit Poster

thanks

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Welcome, a little bit of advice, don't over certify, most certifications are meant to prove a certain level of experience with the product, exceptions to the rule would be exams like the A+, MTA's etc, things like the 70-680 would expect you to have a certain amount of Enterprise experience for the knowledge expected to pass the exam.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. PC Busdriver

PC Busdriver Bit Poster

Hi Simon,
    Thanks for your advice, to be honest i am trying to get qualified to hopefully change trades, with nearly 40 years of age, who will give me a chance without qualifications??
    The experience fails me, although i am trying to follow guides and videos, learn books and my course book and utilise windows 7 ultimate, / trial version of enterprise in Virtualbox.

Using virtual box as i cant get my head round MS virtual PC

and i cant use the actual version of virtualbox within windows 10.as it alsways rolls back the install, maybe after todays massive windows 10 upgrade it will then allow it to install.

So what would you recommend Simon in regards to becoming a PC tech and not over qualifying myself?
    Is there any fast track way to become a tech savvy? or tips and tricks to remember everything?

8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Unfortunately there are no get rich quick schemes as far as IT is concerned, as with everything it takes experience to move up the career ladder and that takes time.

As far as changing trades is concerned, the horrible truth is that with a new trade you're usually expected to start at the bottom of the ladder again, for you that would be a help \ service desk analyst type of job (first line, call logger etc), moving towards 2nd line which would be desk visits etc.

As for your age, that shouldn't be something to worry about and actually it make help you more than hinder you as you move to the desk side visits etc.

My advice would be apply for the help \ service desk roles and get that experience under your belt.

As for virtualisation software, if you have Windows 10 Pro why not use Hyper-V instead, failing that then look at why virtualbox is failing and use that troubleshooting experience as a lesson in troubleshooting.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    garycul likes this.
  9. PC Busdriver

PC Busdriver Bit Poster

ahh ok, sorted, sound like good advice, thanks. thats what imeant from my previous thread, "hyper V" not virtual PC, that i had problems with. i have looked into it and there is soo many threads about it, but not solutions. what i may do or try to do is run virtualbox within virtualbox i.e windows 7 ultimate, then install virtual box within virtual machine that and install windows 7 again, as running the actual version of virtual box as no problems on windows 7 the problems arose as soon as i upgraded to win 10

10. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

With an A+ you should already be applicable to start applying for a helpdesk position tbh, I only have an MTA and work in the field..

PC Busdriver likes this.
  11. PC Busdriver

PC Busdriver Bit Poster

Ok Juelz, Many thanks, i am waiting out on a internal job transfer at the moment, if that should go as planned then i will start looking around my area for helpdesk jobs.