Hi everyone

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by nesbit, Apr 3, 2008.

1. nesbit

nesbit New Member

hello all

my name is John aged 50 and I was a builder until an injury put paid to that. About 3 years ago my daughter gave me her old computer so I thought I would learn to use it properly

Since then I have completed my A+, CCNA, and at the moment I'm a mature college student completing my MCSA I have already passed Network+, 70-270 and today I passed my 290 with a 914 mark...........so I'm fairly chuffed at the moment..........what actually started off as a hobby has become fairly serious......I shadowed an administrator for 6 months and worked voluntary installing systems for a charity. ....I'm the first person to admit that qualifications don't matter a jot over experience but I have enjoyed courses greatly and have a fair understanding of networking and admin.

Now after the MCSA I'm gonna try and get a proper job....my age being the only rock around my neck....any ideas on how to slide into the business at this late stage would be appreciated

Cheers John

2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hi John,

Welcome to Certforums :thumbleft

It has been said before that age doesn't matter as long as you can demonstrate ability and knowledge. Also, employers (in the UK) are not allowed to discriminate candidates based on their age. That said, it sadly does happen in some places and employers will use a different reason to mask the fact that they are doing this.

There are other members on here who are are as 'young' as yourself that have managed to gain employment in IT when they believed they were too old. I myself can not offer any tips in doing this, but I'm sure someone who has been through the same situation will offer some advice soon.

I will say that as long as you show enthusiasm for the job and can display the qualities that the employer is looking for, then you should be half way there at least! 8)

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

John,

Welcome to CF!

Congrats on the certs. Stoney is spot on with his final paragraph... you keep on trying, and something will turn up.

All the best.

4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, John. The age thing may not be as big a deal as you might think. As a technical writer, I don't actually work in IT, but often I work *with* some aspect of IT, documenting process. I've never had an issue due to age (I'll be 54 this year), and I moved from my previous career about 5 to 8 years ago. Sounds like you've got a ton of determination and a great attitude. Hang in there.

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums :cowboy

Don't go in thinking your age is a factor. If you have doubts, interviewers will see it. Like Stoney said, show enthusiasm (and keep adding experience) and you'll be better for it.