Hi everyone!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by AlexLewis83, Mar 5, 2008.

1. AlexLewis83

AlexLewis83 New Member

Hi all, i thought i would introduce myself after reading a few posts on this forum over the past few days.

Let me tell you a little bit about me, my name is Alex (obviously) and im 24, living in Warrington, Cheshire, my background in computers is that i have done a BTEC IT Diploma at college and worked for a small shop as an IT Technician fixing desktops/notebooks both hardware and software etc.. So i am capable of all the basic's of computers and how they work etc, anyhow... i found it really difficult to get myself into a real job as most companies want experience or certified qualifications (cisco, msce etc)

Anyway im stuck in a boring admin role and want to move into the I.T industry again which is what ive wanted since school. i am on about 22k with bonus's and work 35 hour week 8-4pm mon-fri so its really cushy and i have got the time to do a distance learning course and get some real quilifications.

I had a guy from Computeach round last night and he went through everything with me, i thought it sounded very well and after reading this forum for a few days before hand i was very worried about how he was going to be but to my suprise he was very good. it seems on here its 50/50 on computeach and also a few others (skillstrain for one)..

my main question would be i suppose is that the MSCE cost's £4k with Computeach which is the one i'd probably go for... but what other companies would you recommend and how much do they charge?.... and why :)

Sorry quite a long 1st post chatting on but i like to do my research before i jump into anything and im fully aware that you get what you pay for and it all comes down to the individual and how much effort you put in.

Would the MSCE get me a salary worth more than 22k at the bottom end?... the computeach advisors said it would be around 20-25k to start off with...

Thanks alot people

Alex

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Firstly getting the MCSE will probably harm your chances of getting a job as your supposed to have a years experience in a related job before attempting it. Some of the people on here are employers and they would bin your job application straight away if they saw you had the MCSE with no experience.

I would recommend getting the A+, N+ and MCDST this what I am doing and hopefully it will improve my chances of employement in IT as I have a HND in Business Computing but havent been able to get an IT job.

The A+, N+ and MCDST can be done by self study just get the books and study the concepts then take the exams one at a time.

BTW your chances of maintaining the wage your on in your first IT job are slim.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

As you have done some time in IT then use that as the 'experience' in your CV.

I'd suggest that you do this with self-study - you say you have the time, so you are in an ideal situation for this. And it is a *lot* cheaper than paying for a course!

I agree with GBL - get A+ under your belt first - this should be fairly easy with your experience.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Hi Alex,

First of all welcome to the forum, the general consensious on here is to take training providers potential salaries with a pinch of salt. Generally the MCSE seems to be for experienced techs with real world experience, I've lost count of the people on here who have complained that even with an MCSA and MCSE, they cannot find work as they do not have experience.

You already have some experience as an IT techician which you can apply to a job, plus the entry level certs you'd probably breeze. You might be best to start with those and work your way up.

They'll be some more experienced users along soon with some advice, either way good luck with your studies.

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. Ropenfold

Hi Alex,

First of all welcome to the forum, the general consensious on here is to take training providers potential salaries with a pinch of salt. Generally the MCSE seems to be for experienced techs with real world experience, I've lost count of the people on here who have complained that even with an MCSA and MCSE, they cannot find work as they do not have experience.

You already have some experience as an IT techician which you can apply to a job, plus the entry level certs you'd probably breeze. You might be best to start with those and work your way up.

They'll be some more experienced users along soon with some advice, either way good luck with your studies.

7. AlexLewis83

AlexLewis83 New Member

Thanks for the response peeps, think i will go off and look more into the A+, N+ and MCDST courses then!

also just want to add, where is the best place to get the books/CD's from for the A+, N+ and MCDT Courses? ebay? or better off buying from a book shop like waterstones?

thanks alot!

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF! 8)

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I agree with what's already been said. Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  12. Ropenfold

I personally buy my books from Amazon, usually the marketplace cause they're cheaper, Start with the beast that is Mike Meyers's A+ all in one guide (sixth edition), much you'll know already, I guarantee you'll learn from it though!

Check out zimbo's guide to self study, wise words for anyone looking to follow a cert path.

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread11894.html

13. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Good information already given.
    Welcome to the forum… :sunny

14. AlexLewis83

AlexLewis83 New Member

Ropenfold - that link to self study is excellent!.... thanks to everyone for the nice warm welcome and very very helpful information!

Alex