Hi everyone, please could someone offer any training advice?

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by katonskies, Mar 1, 2008.

1. katonskies

katonskies Bit Poster

Hi everyone,

Im new to this forum and was just wondering if anyone could offer any advice for the best training route to take to learn to become a web developer. Im currently studying the CIW courses to try to get a basic understanding but would like to progress into all the other required areas to become a web developer such as
    ASP.NET, C#, XHTML, javascript, XML etc. By any chance does anyone know of the best training route to take to achieve this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Tony

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Once you have mastered the basics then constant practice, and extensive reading, are better than almost anything else.

Also build up a library of reference books. You will find that the O'Reilly books are usualy the best for this.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Yep, books, practice and portfolio.

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  4. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Avoid overpriced classroom training and boot camps. Nothing beats buying some good study material (or using free reference material on the Web) and then practice, practice, practice on your own.

I would recommend setting up a Linux boxen in your house with the LAMP stack and using it as your development platform. It doesn't have to be a powerful system by any means so an older discarded computer will probably do.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. katonskies

katonskies Bit Poster

OK thanks guys, I was considering doing one of the Microsoft certified courses such as the MCAD, would this be a wate of my time?

Thanks

Tony

7. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF! 8)

8. hbroomhall

Depends on what you see yourself doing with your career. I don't believe you should rush out and book any courses until you complete CIW at the very least.

And you can get a *lot* of hands-on experience with things without spending much money. For example, Microsoft have 'Express' versions of their compilers and tools available for download for free.

Harry.

9. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Or WAMP if Linux isn't an option (sorry, Neutralhills!) But you should focus on developing your knowledge and experience first, going the certification route will give you an overview but not enough of the experience and portfolio that you will need to get work.

10. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I concur with Harry:rocks

Hello & Welcome to CF:sunny

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums... :)

13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. katonskies

katonskies Bit Poster

Thanks everyone, Does anyone know if the CIW qualification would be enough to get a job as a web designer if i was to build a couple of sites myself for a portfolio?

15. hbroomhall

My personal view is that you want to put that the other way round.

The CIW would be nice extra to go with a *strong* portfolio.

Harry.

16. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Wise words, take note. Agreed completely. :D

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  17. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Or - especially given the skillset katon is asking about, a *strong* portfolio with *no* CIW? :rolleyes:

18. Carty

Carty Bit Poster

Hi there mate.

Im in the exact same boat as you. Doin the web design managers CIW course through Scheidegger (Skills Train).

Although i wish i'd have found this site before paying all that money lol. But yeah im lookin at getting into the exact same stuff as you posted, scary eh?

Iv brought a CSS book which im doing along side my CIW course at the moment, then wanting to move on to the other things you mentioned and get a portfolio together.

Anyway, welcome from a someone in the same boat as you!

19. katonskies

katonskies Bit Poster

Hi mate,

Good to see im not alone on this one! I certainly am baffled as to what to learn and how to go about it in order to get the best skills to get into a company. The CSS book sounds like a good idea. I've got a bit of a dilema really. We are hoping to emigrate over to New Zealand and I was hoping to secure a new career once over there so ideally need to learn pretty quick and get some experience in a job over here first to ensure I can get a job over there, just seems like there are so many different things to learn

20. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

I was thinking about this earlier, and what people will normally do - when they're not working towards a certification (I've never officially worked in a field which requires certification - and that includes web work! :dry) is learn the basics of the different areas, eg some HTML, and CSS, then a bit of XHTML then some Javascript then a bit more CSS, then a bit of PHP - learning what you need but at the pace at which you find you need it, and learning more as it becomes relevant.

That way you can expand your skillset at your own pace, and realistically in terms of what you want to learn and achieve.