Hi all!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Basilios, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Basilios

Basilios New Member

Hey there guys!

Just introducing myself. Glad to have found these forums, so far they've helped me a lot especially with regards to finding the right direction in terms of which certifications to get (two weeks ago I was so lost!).

I'm a 23 year old chap living in Ipswich in the UK at the moment. I have an honours degree in Philosophy that I got 2 years ago. After that I spent 14 months in a monastery. Since April of this year I've been back home looking for work, with varying degrees of success!

After getting to a really low point (like most grads who find themselves unable to get a job) I decided I'd put my skills to use in a career that I enjoy and that suits my interests. IT it is for me! I took some Computer Science in University and I've always been into gaming and technology; my dad owned and ran a computer shop (it was a mixed bag, we were an Internet cafe, retailer and repair shop) so I have a little bit of experience through that (though it was 8 years ago now that we sold it, so I was still quite young and technology has changed a lot). Anyway, I've always been a bit computer savvy, though I guess it's quite easy to think that because Google is just a click away for any problems, and growing up with technology at this age means I've naturally become a bit intuitive.

Anyway, I'm trying my hardest now to break into the IT industry, which is proving difficult. I'm currently self-studying for the CompTIA+ which I hope to finish by February next year. I realize I'll be starting at the bottom of the pile if I get some work, and that's cool. It's difficult finding the opportunities - most employers expect more business experience and certifications for entry level roles, but I need the entry-level roles to gain the experience! So I am hoping that the CompTIA+ will show my commitment.

I've done a bit of voluntary work experience with some Computer techs/1st line support which has been fantastic and I hope to do more (while balancing studies, temporary work and looking for jobs!).

I'm hoping to learn alot here even if I don't post too often; though I am sure that closer to my test time I will be!

So overall, nice to be here is the "tl;dr" version of this introduction :biggrin

Certifications: ICDL
    WIP: A+, N+, S+
  2. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Really? can you elaborate further - I'm thinking Shaolin monks.

3. Basilios

Basilios New Member

Nothing like that I'm afraid. No kung-fu. We were prayer warriors!

I was in a traditionalist Catholic monastery.

4. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  5. Basilios

Basilios New Member

Thank you very much :-)

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

If you want any help or advice give me a shout, I live in Colchester and am always willing to help out \ advise where possible.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. Basilios

Basilios New Member

Hi Simon, thanks very much! I'll PM you if that's okay.

8. shirleyrader

shirleyrader New Member

Hi everyone,
    i am newbie to this forum and happy to join the forum...