Hi all!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by njamhall, Oct 26, 2009.

1. njamhall

njamhall New Member

My name's nick and I've done helpdesk/desktop support for over 10 years and am rather frustrated :( To be honest it has been mostly helpdesk with some desktop and system admin (changing backup tapes, running back ups, updating the anti-virus software on a server) thrown in. I have only done basic AD admin (creating accounts, resetting passwords, unlocking accounts) and creating Exchange accounts.

The frustrating part is trying to progress further than helpdesk/desktop support and I hope that's where you guys can come in? Does anyone have any suggestions for the type of qualifications needed to enter network support type jobs? I feel a bit ignorant here (as IT is such a large area), but I was thinking more of the Cisco network support jobs (if anyone has any ideas what these are) and if you need any Microsoft qualifications as well? Regarding the latter which one(s) would be appropriate for Cisco networking support jobs (e.g. MCSA 2003, Vista, 2008), maybe Linux, virtualization?

Thanks.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

How about getting the Network+ first for the basic's of networking and then maybe the CCENT?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. njamhall

njamhall New Member

Hi Ken

Thanks for your advice.

To be honest, I have the old Network+ (I think the version before the 2005 one). However I'll certainly go for the CCENT. Any suggested study materials for the latter (assuming I don't need to update my network+)?

4. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Welcome Nick!:biggrin

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)