hi all!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by richeh, Nov 20, 2008.

1. richeh

richeh New Member

Hi, Decided to join the forum after reading through a few posts.

Well I am 20 and have decided to get into I.T. Ive almost finished an appreniship in maintenance fitting which I have been doing for the past 4 years.

I also have a passion for computers hence the career change. Before tonight I didnt have a clue what qualifications i needed, and what would suit my likings.

After a few searches on google I found a site called Seek Learning and rang their advisor up. After an hour on the phone I had a great idea and understanding on what courses I needed to do.

Basically Ive think im going for the A+, MCDST and then the MCSE. Now obviously Ive thought about self learning but I would have problem Keeping orgainised and motivated.

Anybody had experience of seek learning? For a package of A+ and MCDST the price is £1100 and can be done through finance with no interest. Is this reasonable price?

Also How hard is the A+ course and mcdst?

anyway sorry for the essay and thx:P

Certifications: None!
    WIP: A+ network +
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

As you have no real commerical experience, I would strongly recommend doing the A+, Network+ and the MCDST only and not anything higher under you get your foot in the door. IT Professional certifications are there to validate your job role and responsbilities and not to be used as a substitute for experience. Alot of IT Managers (myself included) are disregarding high level certs without the relevant experience - this is a growing trend.

The price is a bit high, but as they are a private training company their prices aren't as expensive as other training providers - however I would also recommend checking out your local college to see if they do those course, as normally they would be discounted/cheaper.

However, see if you can get an apprencticeship in IT, you get your certs and quals paid for, down side is that it depends on the place you get the apprencticeship. They can pay the minimum of £80 pw or anything higher :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I agree with what Ken said.

Have you considered studying on your own, you could save 800 odd quid.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. skuzzy

skuzzy Bit Poster

Welcome!

Go through the road as Ken said but you also need a computer to experinece the things that you read in the book, and don't forget to practice, you need more experience on practice than the exam.

WIP: A+
  5. richeh

richeh New Member

Yes I have I dont think I will have any problems passing the A+ so maybe i could self study for that. The thing is I will be in a fulltime job whilst doing the qualifications. So maybe I will have max 2 hours per night to study. So college is out the question unless its home study (is that even possible?)

6. richeh

richeh New Member

thanks for the lengthly reply.

I see so you think that I should wait untill ive actually had an I.T job before studying for the MCSE?

even though ive have no qualifications in anything I.T related except for gcse level, I build, repair pc's for friends, work, family etc. This is just a small amount to what i need to know i think.

7. greenbrucelee

most definetly, people who get the MCSE before the required experience are regarded by employers as paper MCSEs and wont be employed.

Microsoft recommend that you have atleast 12-18 months supporting a 250+ user multi site environment before undertaken the MCSE it is a cert for people who actually work in this job not for someone who wants that job.

8. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Ken is right on the money - I would recommend you follow his advice to pursue only the A+, Network+, and MCDST, but no farther until you have experience.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Trust me, until you have managed multiple sites, with 300+ users, all running active directory, the MCSE is getting a bit ahead of yourself.

A+, Network+ and the MCDST (Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician) are were the newbies should focus their efforts, they give a great foundation for an IT career, and if you find a basic support role asap by the time you have passed these certs, you will be in a better position to progress to MCSA which is more server oriented.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  11. Becki

Becki Byte Poster

Heya and Welcome to CF :thumbleft

Becki

Certifications: NVQ IC3 A+ Network+ MCDST MCITP MCTS Vista & 7
  12. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hello and welcome to the forums! :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  13. richeh

richeh New Member

Ok think i will take that route, what infomation would I need (books etc) to study for the A+ and network+?

oh and btw im from rotherham too!

14. greenbrucelee

THe best books for the A+ and N+ are:

compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers, PC Technician street smarts a real world guide to A+ certification by James Pyles.

Network + by David Groth 4th edition

and

Network + all in one exam guide by Mike Meyers 3rd Ediition.

15. waj

waj New Member

Guys is really informative. is it possible that we can do MCDST without A+ and N+? what difference does it make?

16. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yes you could do the MCDST without first doing the A+ or N+. You would probably find the MCDST easier if you have already done them though. They are good certs to have anyway, especially if you are just starting out in IT.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  17. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

You have my deepest sympathies!

Where abouts exactly?

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  18. richeh

richeh New Member

Dinnington mate and you?