Hi all, needing advice

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Mike2074, May 20, 2006.

1. Mike2074

Mike2074 New Member

Hi all!

I am looking to get into a career in IT, preferably web design etc. I have recently had the computeach guy round, and thankfully, due to many bad reviews about computeach from forums, including this one, i have decied to reject them.
    I do however still want to pursue a career in IT but need some good solid advice on where to get training, who to avoid etc.

I work as an electrical/mechanical engineer now, working shifts so distance learning seems my only option.

Is it really feasable to get qualified, for example in CIW, and get into a well paid IT job (24k plus) without the practical experience? I started a CCNA course 5 years ago at college evening classes, but quit half way through after realising i had no chance of getting in at over the 24k mark without experience, is this the case with all IT roles?

looking forward to discussing things with you guys and listening to your advice.

Thanks!

Mike :biggrin

2. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Hi Mike, welcome to the forums.

Like you, i only managed to find negative ratings for computeach on the net, and rejected their course on that basis.

Don't give up looking around - best wishes for the future :biggrin

p.s let me know if you do find a decent & affordable dista :rolleyes: nce learning course

3. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.. 8)

Certifications: A+ Network+
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hi and welcome to both of you! :biggrin

If you earn £24K or above in IT these days you are well paid. without proir experience you will have little chance of picking up that kind of money. I've been in IT for 9 years and I'm only getting close to that figure. A more realistic figure would be £14k.

The thing to realise it that IT is a profession, and like any profession you have to start out at the bottom and work your way up. Regardless of how well qualified you are, if you havent got the experience to back it it then you are still going to have to start at the bottom of the ladder.

8)

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

There are a lot of places out there that offer distance learning,
    such as NITLC or ITlearneasy.

If you look under search you will find all sorts of feedback on these places. Since you work shifts, maybe it would be a good idea to book a week off and go on a bootcamp? They are expensive but fast track.

Check out the following link:-

http://www.rapidresults.co.uk/ccna.htm

They offer distance learning and classroom at an affordable price.

Hope this helps

Andy :biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  7. Island3r

Island3r Nibble Poster

Welcome Dude 8)

I think 24k might be a bit high for someone starting out in IT, thats considered a pretty fine wage for someone with several years expereince. But, you never know - you may break the mould. :D

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA 2003, MCTS: Windows Vista, Config, MCTS: Exchange 2007, Config, MCTS: Server 2007 Active Directory, Config, MCTS: Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, CEH
  8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi guys welcome to CF! Ummm if you looking for an affordable way to study have a look at this thread.. it might give you come ideas..

Good luck!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

You say you quit over 5 years ago at College?

How did you know you would get 24K even if you got the Cert?

it's a bit like people wanting to be a plumber because they read in the newspaper they get 45K

Andy

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hmmm, 2 new members, same subject, same IP address, posting 12 minutes apart ?? How quaint !! :biggrin

We ain't dumb.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well there's certainly no flies on you brother 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)