? hi all MCDST am i missing something ¿¿¿

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by oop's, Aug 28, 2007.

1. oop's

oop's New Member

I am thinking of doing the mcdst exams , so i got the 70_272 book MS press 2 nd edition , and it has tests included on the cd, which is fine , i have installed them,the meaure up tests.

But it says that there are also practice files in the tools folder on the companion cd , when i explore this folder , all i see is a word doc called bad macro,
    a vbs file called defrag ,
    a word doc called disclaimer ,
    an excel doc called Lilliputian 500
    a minidir batch file,
    and mbsa setup for microsoft base analyser,
    so could some one explain what this is about , or

they also give ac d with a copy of xp , which i have not installed as i have xp already installed, do i need their copy xp xp installed for these to come into play , or what ??

2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The files may not make any sense as they are probably not related to each other in any way. I guess there are exercises throughout the book that will ask you to run particular files, or do something to them at different points.

The evaluation copy of XP is there so you can practice some of the concepts of the exam such as installing it or if you don't happen to have XP in the first place.

It's also useful in conjuntion with virtualisation software such as Virtual PC 2007 and VMWare Workstation. Virtual PC is free to download, so you could install that, then on a 'virtual PC' install your evaluation copy of XP from the book, then experiment on it or use it to perform the exercises at the end of each chapter. After all, if one of the exercises involves formatting your hard drive adding and removing partitions, you wouldn't want to do that on your own PC.

Of the two virtualisation appllications mentioned, I prefer VMWare Workstation as it's a more powerful but it's not free so Virtual PC 2007 is a good one to start out with. It's pretty straight forward to use and does the job pretty well.

p.s. Welcome to CF. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. oop's

oop's New Member

Thanks,
    for the advice i installed Virtual PC simply as its free, :) time to learn now , ...hmmm

4. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

good luck

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-294
    WIP: MCSE