Hi All (be gentle with me please)

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Leighgough, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Leighgough

Leighgough New Member

Hi everyone, just wanted to say a quick hello and explain a little about what I hope to find here. I have just moved to Cardiff (my profile explains this) and have finally made a decision about what I would like to do with my future. Needless to say this epiphany has led to loads of research and now I am lost! There are so many people advertising training in IT, so many certificates to obtain that I have decided to ask people who know, and you seem to be the best place I have sound so far :p .
    I was going to sign up with Computeach but after looking into some reviews I have decided to stay well away from them! I am now leaning towards taking the MCSE and simply studying from home (is this a good way to go about things?). I look forward to any help anyone can give me, you never know where it might lead and I dont know about you but I find that exciting!

Certifications: Working on this!
  2. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

HI Leigh! Welcome to this fine, helpful, informative forum (Can i have a raise please Mr Bluerinse sir?? :) ).

First question... why o why did you ever move to Cardiff??? I moved from that area 2 years ago... mainly to get away from the ex but also because i hated it lol.

Any way as for IT certs. Most people on here would recommend you try the Comptia A+ cert as a good starting point. It covers the tech side of Pc Hardware, and some of the basics of OS's. (Even covers a little bit about DOS!) If you have little or no PC experience than that is deffinatley the way to go.
    From there you can try the Comptia Network+. This just builds on the A+ with info on Networks such as topologies, protocols etc etc. It also covers some basic Server OS info.

With these 2 together they form an Electrive exam for MS's MCSA qualifications. That seems to be the route a lot of people are going.

However you will find some on here who will suggest a Linux Cert. This is because Linux engineers are in short supply and it is becomming a more popular OS within companies.

The thing to remeber tho is what do you eventually want to do in IT. Server admin? then a MCSA in W3k might be better or a Linux / UNIX exam... Want to work installing maintaining large networks? Then maybe a CCNA (cisco exam) as thier equipment is used alot in larger companies. If you want to do just Hardware. Like i originally intended, Then its harder to find a job with just that skill required. Also, if your looking at web desgin then the CIW exams seem to be the way to go, tho here in the UK they arent quite as recognised as maybe they should be.

However you will find a welath of info and advice if you look around these forums. Theres sections for all the exams i've mentioned and people here are taking them too, who will help you.

This probably has confused you and looks like gibberish, so i guess i'd better stop again lol.

Well good luck on deciding and if you need help... just shout! someone here will hear you and try to help!

PS heres the links to the exam sites to help with info...

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/default.asp
    http://www.comptia.org/certification/default.aspx
    http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/index.html
    http://www.ciwcertified.com/certifications/program.asp?comm=CND&llm=3

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  3. Leighgough

Leighgough New Member

Thanks Twizzle, this gives me a good place to start! Looks like I will have plenty of study to do just to find out what it is I need to study! (I think that makes sense it is Sunday morning after all). I will lewt everyone know how it all goes!

As for the Cardiff thing its not sooo bad! I have a lovely house and my girlfriend is great! I live in St Fagans which seems real nice and I dont feel that connected to Cardiff (and there is a great pub just around the corner which always helps!)

HAve a great weekend :D

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! 8)

If you looking to get into the MS certs (MCSA/MCSE) then i think you should start off with A+ then the Network+. These will give you a solid foundation to build upon for the MS certs.

Good Luck! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I think Twizzle said it all really well, so I'll just say hi! :biggrin

7. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Hello! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

And a hi and welcome from me as well!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Leigh - welcome to CF, and thanks for the compliments about the site :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

G'day Leigh, glad you found us :D

Yes Twizzle , your salary for posting excellent advice on CF has been doubled with effect from March 14th 2006.

Bad news is twice zilch still equals zilch :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I still think twice nothing is better than one lot o nothing......

And to Leigh, let us know what you decide, after all someone here could help if you get stuck on a subject.

12. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Hi Leigh, Hope all goes well with your studies...

13. Leighgough

Leighgough New Member

Wow I have never had so many people say hi! Am feeling loved right now :oops:

14. Mr.Cheeks

Thats because we are a loving community...

15. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Nag i dont love ya.. just feel sorry for ya moving to cardiff lol :biggrin

St Fagins is ok in summer when the centers open. And dont ask about the redlight district.. no PCs there :p

16. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

actually... :tune

@leighgough, welcome.

17. unemployedstudent

unemployedstudent Byte Poster

Welcome to the CF flock.

Another lamb to slaughter. :iluvcf

Certifications: BAISA(hons) Degree, ECDL.
    WIP: A+, CompTIA N+, CCNA
  18. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi.

Cardiff is great. In parts.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  19. Leighgough

Leighgough New Member

All this talk of Cardiff, I'm have to go out and explore now! What were you saying about that area that doesn't exist :angel

20. Mr.Cheeks

Dont explore the area too much!

You might just end up here! :oops: