Hi all, another grateful newbie looking some advice

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by ulsterfry, Jun 4, 2009.

1. ulsterfry

ulsterfry New Member

Hi all,

Brilliant forum, I've looked around a few times but never introduced myself so here goes.

I've been in IT for about 3/4 years following a move from a sales career, I started on a pretty basic rollout project (NT-XP Migration), following that I worked on a Network Infrastructure project (VOIP for LloydsTSB) replacing and configuring Cisco kit. I then worked on a Service Desk for a large accountancy firm doing everything from replacing a mouse to Server configurations, now I'm working on another Service Desk supporting a Government website.

I passed ITIL Foundation (v2) last year and want to get some more certs, just not sure what. I'm happiest when work on technical projects and definitely want to work towards MCSE, I'm just not sure if I should do CompTIA first to certify my current knowledge. I kinda want to get on with it so tempted to dive in the deep end and go straight 70-270 with a view to getting MCSA.

Any thoughts folks, you guys cetainly seem the experts.

Cheers,
    Sean.

Certifications: ITIL Fdn v2
    WIP: CompTIA, MCSA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome:)

if your going for the MCSA then the compTIA A+ and N+ will count towards the elective for it. Once you have the MCSA then you could definetly go for the MCSE

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi Sean, welcome to Cert Forums.

All depends on your experience I guess mate. Have you thought about the MCDST cert? It counts towards your MCSA but I don't think the MCSE.

I have experience with a lot of platforms in a large organisation so I went straight for 270 then 290 and did OK. That said you should never run before you can walk and I only went straight for 270 because I had experience deploying, installing and configuring XP.

I don't have A+ or N+ but I am sitting Security+ next week and have really enjoyed the material. I like that CompTIA certs never expire and are vendor neutral so they possibly have a longer shelf life than some other certs.

Cheers

Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well, you cant go wrong with the A+ and N+ before embarking on the Microsoft certs.. they will certainly give you a very good grounding of knowledge that is *assumed* when you start on more vendor specific certs. I actually didn't do the A+ or N+ and did ok but i did struggle at times with things that would have been clearer had i done the aforementioned certs first. i got through the MCSE without them but in hindsight, i would say, start at the beginning and work your way through as there are bound to be holes in you current knowledge.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Sound advice here, as you have been in the job a while perhaps its worth getting a few books on the A+ and N+ from the library if you are quite familiar with the content it may be worth getting stuck into the client exams XP 70-270 and 70-620 and going for your MCSA then MCSE

If not, A+ and N+ then the MCSA/MCSE

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA