hey

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by mikeyg, Sep 28, 2011.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg New Member

Have decided to self teach myself some certifications. Looking at getting Comptia A+ and Networking+.

Have worked as 1st line user support technician, but do not have any qualifications, got in through a friend really, then the company got bought out and I was made redundant boo hoo! :p Since then lived in Japan for a couple of years now have got back and want to get an IT based job where I can continue to develop skills. Finding it hard to land a job though so going for the certificates as something extra.

If anyone can recommend good courses to take if these aren't good ones to start with that would be great.

mikey

2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Welcome to Certforums!

Most people recommend Mike Myers All-In-One for the A+, he has the full version or passport version depending on your current experience.

CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition (Exams 220-701 & 220-702) - Certification Books
    Mike Meyers' CompTIA A+ Certification Passport, Fourth Edition (Exams 220-701 & 220-702) - Certification Books

Online videos to go along with your studies (as a second source)
    Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Microsoft Certification Training

For the N+, Mike Myers again:
    CompTIA Network+ All-in-One Exam Guide, Fourth Edition - Certification Books

Hope it helps 8)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
    Apexes likes this.
  3. mikeyg

mikeyg New Member

Looks like from your post on the other forums my book is a little outdated. I'll order a new one and work from that, but I'll deffo check out the messer videos.

Also thinking of getting James Pyles book PC Technician Street Smarts: A Real World Guide to CompTIA A+ Skills as I have heard good things about it.

I live in Kent, does anyone know where I can find out the nearest test centre to get the test booked, guessing maybe London is the closest.

m

4. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

CompTIA exams are taken with Prometric Prometric Services: Testing and Assessment . They have over 100 sites across the UK, here are two I found with a quick search of 'Kent'

One Touch IT Ltd
    Faversham, Kent ME13 8RZ
    Phone: 1795 228177 Site Code: GB960

F Keys Ltd
    Rochester, Kent ME2 4HU
    Phone: 44 1634 512345 Site Code: GB827

5. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  6. mikeyg

mikeyg New Member

Thanks, I probably should have found that myself. I'll try not to ask questions that I can find out for myself in future :D #lazy

7. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

ha, no worries 8)

8. mikeyg

mikeyg New Member

I have just booked my exam for the first week of November, hopefully I will be fully prepared by then!

9. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Awesome, I'm going to book mine this week for November as well! :)