Hey!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by JohnHibs, Jul 26, 2009.

1. JohnHibs

JohnHibs New Member

Hi all!

Just stumbled across this site - was looking at IT training course reviews and it led me here. Looking to break into the IT industry as a career change - I gather from some posts Ive read that N+ and A+ are the way to start? I'm looking for something that will look good on a CV and help me with my dreams of emigrating to canada in the future.

I love tinkering with pc's and am hoping to get cracking asap - any help/guidance will greatly appreciated!

ta!

J

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

A full honours degree and 4+ years experience will probably be your best bet if you want to emigrate.

Some countires also give extra points for study in their country, so if you do consider doing a full time degree, consider doing it in the country you wish to emigrate to.

Best of luck ! :D

3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Welcome to Cert Forums. MCSE and CCNA/CCNP are also looked favorably upon when going for the US/Canada and Australia

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

MCSE counts as a 2 year diploma for Oz and you will need at least 6 years work experience to go with it.

I'm not aware of the US or Canada giving credit for certs for immigration purposes, so I'd double check that.

6. JohnHibs

JohnHibs New Member

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I should say that immigration is way off for me right now - I primarily want to get into IT over here!

There is a course from Angus college for A+ that costs £250 - but ILA Scotland will pay the first £200. I was thinking of doing that.

Does that seem like a good idea? Or am I better buying books from amazon or the like?

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!