Hey! New!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by CraigML, Jun 18, 2008.

1. CraigML

CraigML New Member

Hey CF Members!

I'm new to the forums, as you can probably guess.

I'm here to look for advice on getting into the IT industry.
    I'm 19 years old at the moment and just recently got my BTec IT Certificate.

In September I'm starting English, Politics and Economics A levels while doing the MCDST.
    I'm also looking to do the NITLC's Web Design Platinum option and get my website skills certified plus I'd love to learn ASP.

Certs I'd like to get:
    - CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+
    - MCSE/MCSA (Plan to get with or after the MCDST in September through my local College.)

I'm assuming as I build these up I will be employable.
    I just saw someones signature earlier of them having GNVQ, NVQ 1+2 and a HND - I looked at that and I thought... wow how you got time to do that.

I'm worried if I'm going to be employable with the commercial courses alone or not.
    Wondering if I should actually get NVQs too (Which I know from friends that the NVQs are so much more valuable than BTECs, which I have one and learnt only ONE thing out of 2 years.. Binary and Hexadecimal - something I could of learned online!)

I would like to become a Technician, Desktop support or networking, but I would also love to get into Website design and development.
    So I'm very open. But just lost in what to do and go and get and when I will definately be employable.

------- so that's me, any advice or words would be GREAT ---------

CF I was told about by our trusted friend Google. Looks good I just hope I'l be here for a while :D

Certifications: BTEC IT Certificate
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

That looks like my sig that you looked at.

It took a long time

You should not go for the MCSA/MSCE untill you have experience in a job releating to those certs, as high level certs like those are supposed to show you can actually do the job and need no training.

The best certs to get are compTIA A+, compTIA N+ and MCDST and no further untill you have been working a for a while. You could probably do security + but do the others first.

Good luck :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. videoman

videoman Bit Poster

Hi and welcome. Wish I was nineteen again as I have a daughter older than you.

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  5. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Hi there, i am doing a course with NITLC and to be honest for the money you shell out I dont think its worth it. I would recomend doing it all on your own and if you have any problems, well this is the site to come to.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  6. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Oh and by the way..........welcome to CF

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  7. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Hello & Welcome
    Many factors make someone employable, but none outrank experience. Just getting certifications might show an employer your eagerness, enthusiasm and desire to be in the field for the long-haul; but with no experience the employer will have a hard time justifying a non-entry position.

8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:) Craig.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!