Hey, new here!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by skuzzy, Nov 20, 2008.

1. skuzzy

skuzzy Bit Poster

I was although a regular guest here, for 2 months. Than I decided to register and share opinions, get or give support. :biggrin

My name is Onur, and I'm 15 years old. Trying to get into IT world by this map:

• IT Essentials I & II
    • CCNA
    • CCNP
    • CCIE

I know that staying here gives you much experience, and I'm gonna gain something from you.

WIP: A+
  2. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Welcome Onur:D. Sound like a lad with steam...good for you

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  3. skuzzy

skuzzy Bit Poster

Yeah, thank you for your welcome Obinna Osobalu! :)

4. cellardoor

cellardoor Nibble Poster

Welcome skuzzy. Nice name! :biggrin

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

Got a very tough plan, however I would strongly recommend concentrating on your high school/GCSE's at the moment and then go to college. Cisco certs needs renewing every 3 years and without experience, plus your very young age, you'll find that companies will not let you loose on their network infrastructure.

Have you thought about the A+ & Network+ (along with your IT Essentials 1 & 2) to start off with?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hello and welcome to the forums! :) As in Ken's post, you need at least some basic qualifications before you go for the more advanced ones which first and foremost means getting good GCSE grades.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. skuzzy

skuzzy Bit Poster

I really appreciate your welcomes! :D Nice to meet you all.

Thanks for your advices, IT Essentials 1 & 2 conclude A+ and S+ if I am correct, but anyway I'll go to N+, I have great deal with computers, my life. 8)
    Yeah, at the moment I'm too young also Cisco doesn't allow people <16 years to enter at IT Essentials either CCNA, but currently I'm self-studying [trying to gain more and more experience before entering in IT World (I mean officially) to be although a bit ready for it].
    I am currently at Primary School 9th grade, so I have a long road to University. :)
    But I wanna enter there as fast as I can. Planing to enter to IT Essentials course on September of next year as my age grows up to 16. :D

Again I really appreciate your comments and welcomes, thanks.

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What Ken said is exactly accurate. The problem with amassing a quantity of mid-to-upper-level certifications is the fact that becoming overcertified (certified without first getting the appropriate amount of real-world business IT experience) isn't necessarily a good thing. Employers don't hire people anymore based solely on certifications - they are looking for people with experience. As Ken mentioned, companies aren't going to hire you up as a network administrator without first having quite a bit of real-world IT experience.

So... how do you get that experience? By starting at the bottom and working your way up. Most people start out with an entry-level IT job, becoming a help desk tech, field service tech, level 1 tech, PC repair tech, or, if you're fortunate, desktop support tech. Then, they'll progress along the IT career ladder, one step at a time: entry-level > Desktop Support > Server Administrator > Network Administrator.

So why isn't it good to have a bunch of certifications, even if you don't have the experience? More is always better, right? Well, as mentioned earlier, the companies with admin jobs won't hire you due to a lack of experience. So what about the companies with entry-level jobs? Many of them will be reluctant to hire someone with a bunch of certifications and no experience because:
    1) It looks as if you've braindumped (cheated) your way through a bunch of upper-level exams that typically require experience.
    2) It looks as if you are too expensive - they don't need a CCNA or an MCSE; they just need a plain-old entry-level tech.
    3) It looks as if you'll leave as soon as something better comes along... and the employer will have to find, hire, and train someone all over again.

In this way, having upper-level certifications early in your career can actually HARM, not HELP, your chances of getting your first IT job - most employers will deem you as too big of a risk to hire.

And if employers with admin jobs won't hire you... and employers with entry-level jobs won't hire you... where does that leave you? Unemployable. At least, until you drop the certifications off your resume.

Don't misunderstand me - the knowledge you gain while studying for those certifications IS great, and CAN help you advance faster, ONCE you've gotten the job. But the certifications themselves are not helpful until you get the appropriate amount of experience.

I would recommend two things:
    1) Get your A+, Network+ and MCDST - all of which are fine, entry-level certifications - and no farther, until you get some real-world experience under your belt.
    2) Get your entry-level IT job NOW. THIS is how you can get that experience that employers are looking for. Get a job at a PC repair place after school and/or on weekends, and start getting some real-world practical knowledge. By the time you get out of high school or college, you'll be ready to move up (or already moving up) the IT career ladder... unlike most others who choose to wait until after they're done with school before starting to work their way up!

Best of luck to you!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Becki

Becki Byte Poster

Heya and Welcome to CF :thumbleft

Where abouts in the world are you from?

Becki

Certifications: NVQ IC3 A+ Network+ MCDST MCITP MCTS Vista & 7