Hey is there ny way to run games without graphis card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tjcgold, May 3, 2011.

1. tjcgold

tjcgold New Member

i just wanted to ask wheather therez a way to run games which require graphic cards

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2011
  2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

When you say no graphics cards do you mean separate agp or pci express cards?

Some motherboards and Intel i5 cpus have integrated graphics built in.

If you had nothing to render the graphics you wouldn't have an image on your screen.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

*crazy time sync issue with the forum, this is not the original post :) *

You need something to render an image. It can be a built-in graphics card (for example, part of the motherboard) or an add-on card using a PCIE, AGP or other type of appropriate slot.

If however you're asking about needing a graphics card to play certain games that support hardware acceleration (for example, the graphics card provides better visuals), then it really depends on the game. For example, you can play Unreal Tournament with a graphics card that supports Glide, OpenGL or DirectX rendering techniques for improved rendering speed and look, but you can also run it in Software Mode which reverts to using just the CPU to 'draw' the graphics, and these are then fed via the graphics card to your screen (and therefore the graphics card could just as well be a normal, non-hardware accelerated one).

Last edited: May 3, 2011
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Haha this thread is out of whack

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I didnt know Microsoft were now using esoteric techniques for providing support and advice!

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  6. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Duplicate post

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
  7. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Not quite sure what you mean by that... but it seems this thread is completely out of sync in regards to the posted time showing up for each of us, since my post was a reply to the other person asking if one needs a graphics card to play a game, and not meant to show up as the original post.

Thus, that comment of mine was only something I posted to help someone out, i.e. my opinion, not that of my employer :\ If I give advice on this forum, it's not meant to be an officially dictated response from Microsoft per-se, as I don't work in marketing, sales, public relations or the like. I occasionally chip in with some help if I think I have an answer based on personal experience.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  8. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Was referring to the Dark Arts and time travel

Was just A joke anyways regarding the fact the answer showed up before the question, seems like there are some time issues with the forum currently :)

9. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Duplicate post!