Hey guys, new member in need of advice

Discussion in 'A+' started by Going on my own mike, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Going on my own mike

Going on my own mike New Member

Hi Guys this is my first posting on this so i'd like to say a big Hello.

I could do with a bit of advice.

The situation is that i currently have a job which i am not too chuffed with, i pretty much know computers and how to fix them etc. inside out however i wanna get a qualification to prove this (not neccesarily to get a job with a company but just for my personal benefit).

Now as with many people wanting to get qualifications i have looked into these courses (computeach) which is a RIP OFF, however i have looked into buying the materials seperate for example on ebay or amazon and doing the exam (which works out at under £200).

I wanna get the qualification and at least i could maybe earn money part time as a callout engineer for those tight months.

Could someone more experienced let me know their opinion on the matter??

Cheers much

Mike

Certifications: NVQ Public Services, NVQ Weapon Handling
    WIP: Hopefully A+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

As a starting point take a look at the Comptia A+ & going down the self-study route with the Mike Meyer's A+ book.

Don't forget that in order to gain the full A+ you have to sit 2 exams.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums! Many people on this forum will recommend self-study, and I also think that's a good idea. I personally recommend the Mike Meyers A+ book and James Pyles' (Tripwire on this forum) PC Technician Street Smarts.

Good luck!

4. Going on my own mike

Yeah well still cheap in comparison to those bandits at computeach with their £2000 odd,

So do you think i should just start off with the standard comptia A+ materials on Amazon then go with this mike meyers?

5. Kitkatninja

Well Amazon is a online retailer that sells Mike Meyer books, see here.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  6. Going on my own mike

Sounds like a plan,

So once i got the A+ Qualification what are the job prospects of having A+ and no Work experience in IT, in the long run i would like to get into Networking but i understand i have a long way to go till then and for someone who is familiar with Software and Hardware what kind of timescales do you think roughly e.g 6months or 3 years lol

7. Kitkatninja

Well the A+ is a great entry level/level 1 cert (it's still a very good cert to have even if you have years of experience). As for the job prospects, please bear in mind that no cert will guaranty you a job - however it does increase your chances.

And as for the time frame, again it's down to you and your experience. Some people it takes 6 months, others forever. In the "IT" world, I've seen people with about a year of experience already working on networks, and then again I've seen people with about 10 years who just want to work on the IT helpdesk and do not want to branch out to other areas of IT.

-ken

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The A+ is an entry level cert which means just that, you have the knowledge but no experience. The A+ will make you stand out more to an employer than a person who has no experience and no certification, however it does not gaurantee you a job and also wont put you at an advantage over the person who has experience.

Good luck.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?