Helpdesk to Field Service

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by NoCompanyIT, Apr 22, 2009.

1. NoCompanyIT

NoCompanyIT Nibble Poster

Generally, in a helpdesk role you tend to deal with basic user problems via the telephone and email, rather than install or maintain hardware/software hands on.

How then is it possible to move from helpdesk to field service, when field service roles require hands on experience in installing/maintaining servers?

I just had a look through yell.com at my local I.T services companies, and one of them was advertising for a role as I.T Engineer, however, what was essential was that they asked for experience in installing various different servers, of which I have none since I have only done internal I.T support of desktops,printers etc.

Also I've noticed that some people here started out in a field based role, is it right to assume that it did not require server installation, configuration etc, but rather desktop problems, installation, config etc?

Certifications: Bsc (1st)
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

No all field roles require you to do server/network jobs. The key is in the job title and job role, "I.T. Engineer" is not going to be a level 1/tier 1 role. There are field based roles out there (however in the current climate, they are few like any other job) where you only do desktop support. There are also jobs out there where they have a rotation between helpdesk, workshop and field (and you could also shadow other areas/people like the telecoms/network tech for phones & switches and the System Manager/Senior tech for server work).

You could talk to your supervisor/manager about letting you shadow the higher levels/higher tiers to gain experience with servers and networks.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. ally_uk

ally_uk Nibble Poster

Or Invest in a cheap server And tinker, Play, Break, Learn

I was in the same situation as yourself although I work for a company which refurbishes old donated computers, Fed up of the general day to day grind of installing operating systems and fixing faults I decided I wanted to expand my knowledge of server hardware. I dug out a old poweredge, learnt about SCSI devices how to setup Hardware and software raid ( I setup software using Linux) How to install Ubuntu Server edition, No bad for afternoons worth of learning.

Getting my hands dirty with the server hardware was a good way of understanding the technology such as SCSI Backplanes, Terminators, Dual processor Setups, Hot Swap drives and PSu's

The turning point for me was I became fed up of going to work and staring at servers which hadn't been touched finally my need to understand how tech works got the better of me and I got my hands dirty.

If you want to get into the server side of stuff then pick up a copy of server+ get a old server it doesn't have to be grounbreaking and tinker.

Depending on your interest ( I have a strong interest in Linux and Open Source technologies) learn about Microsoft Server 2k3 or Linux.

If you choose the Linux route I strongly reccomend the dedicated servers handbook from this you will learn how to setup a Mail, DNS, Web server, you will learn how to configure the whole server and from this you will gain a excellent knowledge of how to maintain a server

Good luck and don't be afraid of getting hands on, It's daunting at first but if things break what the hell that's the best way to learn

4. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

Bit rude but if I could ask ​

Q: what kind of Salary would or should an Field engineer get ?
    1st & 2nd Line role.

Thanks

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

From what I've seen (of course it is dependant on county/country, employer, level & responsbilities, etc) £13k pa upwards, realistically roughly the same as any other 1st/2nd line support. My first proper IT job has rotations, so 1 week you'd be on helpdesk, one week workshop, one week field service, added to that we also had our own areas of responsibilities and I was on approx £12.5k pa.

Of course if you get an apprenticeship post then anyway from £80 pw (£4160 pa) upwards.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security