help

Discussion in 'Networks' started by DanWood75, Jul 24, 2009.

1. DanWood75

DanWood75 New Member

:hhhmmmhi

can anyone explain how a domain-based network works in simple terms been a bit thick and can't seem to get the grasp

any help would be appreciated

cheers

Dan :hmmmmm

Certifications: none
    WIP: Comptia A+
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hi Dan, have a read of this and then let us know if you still have trouble, Jim

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_domain

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

In simple terms:

Domain = Central Administration (less work, easier to maintain)

Non-Domain, eg workgroup = Administration has to be done on each machine (more work, harder to maintain especially in medium to larger organisations)

For example:

1. Creating a user

In a Windows domain environment, you create it in AD. This user can log on to any PC in that domain.

In a workgroup, you will have to create that user on every PC that the user may sit at in order for the user to be able to use any of the PC's.

2. Setting security

In a Windows domain environment, you set it up it in AD. This is then replicated across AD and "pushed" to the clients".

In a workgroup, you will have to set up the same security on each PC (over and over again) to ensure the same thing.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security