Help!!

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by iain14, Aug 1, 2007.

1. iain14

iain14 Bit Poster

I need some help, my friend has a laptop I"BM Thinkpad R40e Type 2684" the problem he is having is that the FN button seems to be stuck or in other words when you press the letter j the number 1 appears, i have tryied different ways of using like the fn and num lock and it's not working.

please help.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: CCNA,
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Is numlock on ? Is the numlock light on ?

First thing to do is to determine that, try turning it numlock off.
    Does the numlock key work? Is it stuck ?
    What happens when you use the Windows On Screen Keyboard ?
    Is it turned on by default in the BIOS ? etc

Is you friend happy to use his £1000 lappy as a calculator ? :biggrin

If there are physical keys broken or the keyboard controller chip has blown he might need a new keyboard but this is unlikely.
    Does he wanna cough up for a new keyboard, is it in warranty ? Its a pretty easy job and keyboards are fairly cheep so if it is no biggie,
    I replaced my laptop keyboard only the other month.

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sounds like NumLock is on.

To see if the Fn key is really stuck, try pressing another key that is mapped to the Fn key, like screen brightness up/down or volume up/down, or wireless on/off, to see what happens if you press those keys without hitting Fn. If pressing those keys make typed characters appear rather than activating the function, your Fn key is not stuck.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. iain14

iain14 Bit Poster

i have tryied the num lock and it makes no difference, i notice when he logged on first the password he typed was ok and not affected but soon as he types anything else its back to the old 1 insted of the j, the worst thing is his name begins with a j.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: CCNA,
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

On many laptop computers, the NumLock function is also controlled by a Fn key combination. If so, you are using the Fn key when pressing NumLock, right?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The r50e has light at the bottom of the screen that tells you if the num lock is on.

hold down shift+numlk to switch it off.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs