help with training please

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by jezza, Jan 29, 2010.

1. jezza

jezza New Member

hi i have a few years spent teaching myself how to build repair pcs and now i have been offered career development at work. so i am thinking A+ N+ and MCDST is the way to go to get myself a few certifications.
    My problem is that although i learn a lot from books i seem to learn a lot faster in a classroom environment. so should i opt for something like mike meyeres A+ cd training and the new A+ book and then the same type of training for the rest of the certificates or is it a waste of time to do the interactive courses
    thanks
    Jezza

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2010
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It all depends on you, if you feel that learning in a classroom based environment would be better for you, then go for it. If you want to try out the self-study route and then sit the exams, do that.

One thing I would say if you decide to do the class base route: Research the training organisation first... I would recommend contacting your local college in the first instance.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

There are some really good classroom courses out there, but as he said, check the place out first.

If you're fairly new to the certifiction game and feel that you'd benefit from instructor led training,then there's nothing wrong with it.

Sometimes there's a lot to be said for the smaller places that charge a reasonable price and are run by the guy from his garage. He relies on word of mouth to keep his business going as opposed to the big places with plasma screens and sponsored Google ads.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Check out Professor Messer's free A+ videos before splashing the cash on videos/CBTs and get yourself a book.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I happen to think that there are those people who do well reading a book and those who benefit from a classroom of people, me I am the latter but that's because I am the kind of person who interacts well with others and likes the challange of solving other peoples challanges.

Go for what you think will best suit your learning style, if that's CBT then do that, if it's from a book do that.
    Whats right for one person might not be right for the next and only you can decide whats best for you.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. jezza

jezza New Member

many thanks to you all for your advice its given me a lot to think about.
    cheers
    Jezza

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2010