Help with Self Study Path

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Dazzo, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Hi All,

I'm currently working as an IT assistant doing desktop support with server, telephone and network admin roles thrown in for good measure and was hoping to continue on the cert path.

I've got CompTIA A+ and MOS Master 2010, but I'm looking for a structured approach based on my goals and my current job role.

I am exposed to Windows XP/7 Pro, Server 2003/2008R2/2012 in maybe year or two, Exchange 2007/2010 again in year or two. We have multiple servers with different roles including AD/DHCP/DNS, Linux Firewall (Debian/Opensuse) and other tech including Symantec backup exec and a cisco router which will hopefully be used for VPN in the future.

At the moment I'm leaning towards doing Network + to get a better understanding of networks as I feel this is my weakest point. After that I was thinking of doing the MCSA: Windows 7 70-680 and 70-686 as I wish to go the Administrator route in my career. I don't think the Cisco tech would be beneficial to me currently but I may get to that in the future.

Anyone have experience doing this, or think they will retire the windows 7 exams before I get a good chance to work towards them?

Regards,

Daz

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  2. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Hi Daz,

Network+ is definitely a good call - gives you the basics in networking without any vendor specific content.

I don't think Win7 is going anywhere anytime soon. The company I work for only recently rolled this out, and there are still many users on XP.

Do you have the Vista certification? I only mention this as you listed the 686 as an exam you are going for which is an upgrade from Vista exam. 680 and 685 are the needed exams for the MCSA in Win7. My particular preference is to certify on the latest technology but giving the exams a quick look on Amazon, it looks like the materials for Win8 have yet to be released. If you are interested in potentially moving into more of a server admin role, it may then be worthwhile to go for the MCSA on a server platform (i.e. 2012).

So in short, Network+, 70-680, 70-685 and possibly MCSA 2012 (a further three exams (410-412)) would be my path if I were in your position.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc