Help with deciding University modules.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Maseybaby, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Maseybaby

Maseybaby Bit Poster

Ok, so just started University today and I have been given a choice on what I can study (limited mind you).

I have several options but I managed to round it down to 2 modules:

Web Design and Development
    Introduction to Networking with LANS and WANS (gives me the CCNA 1 & 2)

I'm more tempted to go with the website design as it seems far more fun, but, is it worth doing the networking module as I will receive my CCNA cert?

I just want to pick the module that will be most beneficial to me and out of these 2, I can't decide which it would be.

Cheers
    Lee

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Computer Sci, MCDST, MCITP, CCNA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

it depends on what you want to do really. Me personally I would go for the networking one as there is more of a career in that sort of position and it interests me more.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

lol, you full-timers. When I went to Uni we didn't have a choice, mainly cause it was part-time in the evenings, we either did it or we didn't get our degree :lol:

But apart from that, I also would choose the networking side. However the choice is yours, what do you want to do? Where do you see yourself? There's no point doing something just because other people would do it, you may or may not regret it...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

From personal experience of university modules I'd choose the networking. (Specficially which Cisco quals do you get?) It always seemed to me that the website side of things was a bit wishy washy - at least with networking you'll be learning techniques that will benefit you in the future with regards to 1st line support roles and higher up the I.T ladder.

Entirely dependant upon personal preferences/aims though...

Qs :)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yeah who needs those wishy washy web skills ! :biggrin

I'd take both if you can, the internet is the biggest driver in IT at the moment and companies therefore require both those skillsets in large numbers.

Personally I took all software development modules at uni, now I look back I wish I'd done a little more networking just to get a more rounded education.

At some point (maybe now) you will have to choose a route, in this instance it could be networks or software development, you can't really do both to a high level as both fields take years to learn and are constantly changing.

If you want to work in networks then a course with CCNA sounds like a great start. Some web courses can be a bit trivial and you could probably teach yourself, it really depends whats on the course.

6. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Indeed. :p

I jest - I did say that it depends upon personal preference. I liked my web-design modules at uni, but meh... I felt as though I already knew half of the stuff they were doing from self-study alone.

Go for networking, self-study the web stuff. <-- My two cents.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I think you would find in the job world (i.e. the REAL world :p ) that for the web side of things employers would be keener to see your portfolio of work rather than a qualification as part of a degree.

Taking this into account I would agree with other posts - do the networking and self study the web stuff if you still are interested in that.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Agreed - if you want to be a tech, go for networking.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!