Help with Career

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by millsy18, Sep 3, 2007.

1. millsy18

millsy18 New Member

Hi there all, just wondering if I could get some information or advice about where I should start.

I'm 17 but really eager to start up a course and hopefully go on to get a job. I'm interested in MCDST but I heard that it's going out of date and the new recommendation is MCITP, is that right.

Also I was looking at A+ and Network+ would those 3 be good to start off in, also the two above I heard are easiest to self study as I was thinking about leaving sixth form and getting a full time job aswell as doing the course.

Any information or advice much appreciated, cheers

Certifications: GNVQ ICT...A+
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I'd agree that they are a great 3 to start off with. I'd go for A+ first (As I did myself). It really covers the basics which are essential, as with Network+.

As for leaving 6th form, Can I ask how far you are into doing A Levels? (Assuming its A Level's your doing). It may be a better idea to stay if your nearing the end and then hit the A+. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. millsy18

millsy18 New Member

Well I've just finished my first year, but to be honest I really don't like it at all. I got D,D,E which I was really dissapointed in as seen as I got really good GCSE's but they still count as passes. So basically I will be starting my second year fairly soon.

4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Its a tough one mate, you could perhaps start A+ using the Mike Meyers All In One - Sixth Edition, and see how you feel about it, and if your as interested as you think you are. If that proves to be the case, you could then rethink what you want to do? :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Hi Millsy,

Can I ask - what A levels are you taking? Are they computer orientated?

My personnal opinion (without knowing anything about you or the courses that you are on) as a father of two teenagers (19 & 15) would be to try and stay at college if at all possible and then go to university if that that option is open to you.

I can understand the desire to get a job and earn money, but in the long term, qualifications are, without doubt, the best thing you can have.

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  6. millsy18

millsy18 New Member

Yes I am taking ICT, English Literature and also Product Design but alot of people I know friends older brothers & sisters etc and family have got their A levels and they have not helped them at all.

I know they are good to have but I don' think I can get good grades anymore as I had a poor first year. With these course however it seems like this is what the IT industry is looking for and not really A Level IT.

As for university I am not sure yet due to whether I would get the qualifications or not and also due to me not wanting to get into debt.

7. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

To be honest, if it were me I'd keep up with the A Levels until finished. A good education, even not great passes at A levels can really help you when finding a job.

If you do give up on your A levels, study for the A+ N+ etc, then decide you don't want to be in the industry... you could be in an awkward situation.

Just my opinion. :oops:

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  8. millsy18

millsy18 New Member

Nice one everyone I appreciate it some good ideas there, any more appreciated, I'm going in tomorrow anyway to have talks with the teacher as I got told different things about my coursework etc and I ended up coming out with those grades I put down before.

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The MCDST will be useful for years to come. Companies are still using Windows XP, and will continue to do so. Some companies still use Windows 2000 Professional.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!