help with a CV desperately needed

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Cookies81, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Cookies81

Cookies81 Bit Poster

i have recently seen an IT position thats has stated NO EXPERIENCE NEEDED, want to be able to put in the better CV i can based on my no certifications and limited experience (which was a shock when a realised i do have some).

any help and coments would be greatly appreciated

View attachment Stuart_Cook_cv.doc

Certifications: None
    WIP: Comptia A+ and Network+
  2. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

IMO:
    it is too long:

no offence, but If somebody sent me a cv like this it would land in the bin - am looking forward to be called troll and for ban ;-)

remove GCSE scores - E and F are not reasons to be proud :-), mine weren't better ;-) but I never write it on my cv, remove "My end goal is to work towards an IT management position." - you may scare people with it IMO, it is too early to look that far. On interviews it is common question "where do you see yourself in 2,3 5 years", and it is better to say that you see yourself "as reliable person with experience and knowledge that knows his job and responsibilities well" than to say "in 5 years I will be chairman of the board" - read some interview advices before you will for for an interview

justify the text, when you apply for IT position you need to have basics of MS Office, same with side margins, they are too wide, remove the border's color in the table (border style goes to "none" so after printing the cv will have the table but without borders), the font looks nasty IMO
    in the table you have different address format for different companies, try to make a standard. Also in some jobs the space between two lines is too big, because you pressed enter twice

If you want some more qualifications try doing something like ECDL or ITQ Lvl2, will help a bit with knowledge in MS Office (word, excel, powerpoint),as you lack it. Try in local college or learndirect, depending on your circumstances they may do it for you for free.

and the long life story on the end is too long, and unnecessary. i.s.o. try to write more details in table next to your jobs, and try to focus on IT part of each job you were doing, things like organizing 5 a side football has nothing to do here :-)

on top you should give some of your details: telephone number, address, e-mail, if you will succeed they will want to contact you :-)

On top there is "objective" try to change it onto "profile" and each of them, Profile, qualifications, education should be written in bald font

try to view others cv from this part of forum and look how others did it. Here you have quite interesting post with cv scoring website: http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread42711.html
    I wouldn't count on it too much, but helps a bit, my last CV score was B on this one
    try to find more posts where people were asking for cv advice and their cv was corrected by people here, maybe try to use one of them as template.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
    Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

There's no need for that if you read the post and maybe give some relevant advice. :twisted:

Mariusz has pointed out some very relevant points. As he said, maybe find some others to use as an example.
    Check mine out.

You will also find a lot of others here too.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. J.Hinds

J.Hinds Nibble Poster

The best advice I can give is; view quite a fair few other CVs as there is so much you could improve on to make your CV better. Such as the layout, font face, the spacing, and your other experience section needs to be compressed.

Although this is for a position which requires no experience, I can almost guarentee there will still be people applying who do have experience even if only slight. So.. work hard on you CV, make it top notch and then not only will this help when applying for this role but will make things much easier in the future aswell.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
    Certifications: A+, MCP, MCTS (Win 7)
    WIP: MCSA (Server)
  5. Cookies81

Cookies81 Bit Poster

Thanks for all the helpful tips.
    The original CV was for any work at the moment with y current position only a temporary contract until August. I changed slight parts in particular for the position I am going for, so the tips you have given will help on either side.

how do you go about selling yourself on little experience and no qualifications, I have worked with helpdesk support fixing customers problems within the companies own website which was windows XP based (if any of you have done an on-line self assessment then you know what i am talking about), i have used MS office (word, excel, outlook and powerpoint) on a daily basis and consider myself to fairly competent on Excel but assume companies would only look at the experience if you have the certification to accompany it.

am very new trying to follow the IT certification route, and reading the various CV's on here have been a great help.

6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I would heed all the above advise and secondly invest in a good interview/CV prep book. See below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Answe...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298019445&sr=1-1

I do not know the author or nor am I related to the author in any shape or form. It's a good book I own and has helped me a lot in interviewing and CV writting skills. All the best and keep us informed of your progress:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. Cookies81

Cookies81 Bit Poster

just a little thing on this my contact details are normally on there just my better half would flip if i put that type of info on here :rolleyes:

8. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  9. Cookies81

Cookies81 Bit Poster

thanks for the reply Lukep,

i checked your CV template last night after i'd put mine up and realised how many mistakes i had made on mine, with the help of suggestions made here and the help of enlgish uni student wife, hopefully i can change it to resemble a decent CV.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  10. Cookies81

Cookies81 Bit Poster

ok after looking at a few templates i can get the gist of the layout.

View attachment Stuart_Cook_CV[1].doc

this is an update on the first CV i uploaded, but this would be so in adequate when trying for a level entry IT position even though its asking for no experience needed.

anymore tips will be greatly appreciated

11. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

"I am very confident in using MS applications such as Outlook, Word and Excel and have a fair confidence in using MS PowerPoint. "

but you still didn't justify the text :-), and the font is still nasty, times new roman looks better imo, but it's up to you, writing that you're good in word and not justifying the text works against you
    bullets in HMRC are too much on left, which is different in your last job.

the top is fine, but you could write address in less lines I think

skills are empty and you forgot about your previous positions, as you cut them out completely.

Much better anyway :-)

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7