Help - want to get into IT but unsure what path to choose?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by SHOWxSTOPPA, Dec 22, 2011.

1. SHOWxSTOPPA

SHOWxSTOPPA New Member

Hello all,
    I wish to learn more in IT and make a career in IT although unsure what of these path is best to go for?
    1. Software engineering?
    2. Networking ?
    3. Security ?

I know a little about the first 2 but got no knowledge about Security. Please tell me what is the main demand for when looking for jobs?? According to me i think it is networking but the IT guy where i work suggested Security. Im still unsure so please help me
    Thanks

Nas

2. mdavies

mdavies Bit Poster

hi,
    here's my $0.02...
    software engineering is cool because you can create stuff but writing code all day is just... boring. however, knowing the basics of a few languages (php, javascript, some shell scripting, awk, etc.) goes a long way no matter what area you are in. networking is king... and those who are good at it do very well. networking touches a little bit of everything, especially security. so if you're going to get into tech i would say:

1. learn networking first - this exposes you to a ton of stuff you'll use everyday
    2. once you're (really) good at networking, expand into security (it's a nice area to know and, really, you just can't avoid it these days)
    3. again, know how to get around a unix/linux command line; get some basic programming skills

again, that's just my networking-centered view of the world.

good luck! :p

3. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

3 pretty different areas really, only you can know which you want to go down, which you'll enjoy etc.

No particular area is 'king' imho :p

Security for instance is a massive area of work, a lot of technical and non technical roles, you'd need to be more specific :)

Networking will touch on network security, but there's a whole lot more to security than networking :p

If you're looking at it from a 'what will pay most' point of view then well they can all pay very well or very badly, totally depends on what level you can get to and who you work for!

As for what's popular and in demand, take a look at what jobs are available in the locations where you would want to work, in all honesty they are all areas where there is always a demand for people. I'd say there's most competition for networking jobs out of those 3 though.

So in summary, have a think about which you'd think you would prefer to do, research them a bit, then come back to trying to decide where to start off.

That's coming from someone who went down the security route and hasn't really touched any serious networking before :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
    wagnerk likes this.
  4. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Basically this, do what you think you'll like/enjoy the most.

They will all pay well if you're competent :)