Help! Thinking of career change

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zahmeds, Aug 4, 2008.

1. zahmeds

zahmeds New Member

Medical Graduate (doctor) working since 2006, thinking of career change (health reasons) Wondering if IT would offer more chance of a sitting down job, always liked computers, but thats where it ends/ never pursued the interest.
    Where would i begin in the It world? what ladder should i climb. Frankly i dont know enough to have any particular interests. Networking maybe?
    i know this post is really really vague - i DONT have any direction in IT.
    would be totally grateful for any help/advice
    Thanks!!

Certifications: MBChB (Medicine)
    WIP: Dont know
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Do a little research before plungin in to IT have a look at compTIA A+ certification and see how you feel after that. If you are actually working as a doctor your in for a hell of a pay drop if you go into IT for your first salary.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

It really depends on what area of IT you're looking at. From experience and from my mates (& other's) experience, the only real "sit down" jobs would be either helpdesk (on the technical side) where you're on the phone all day or analysis & programming (on the development side, regardless of web or windows, etc). Of courses I'm generalising here :)

You could go down the network route, but you're going to have to start at the bottom (no-one is going to let you loose with no experience on their switches) and to be honest it's not a sit down job. Yes you get to sit down to configure switches, etc. But you also have to take into consideration the running of cables (some of the runs can be difficult, eg ceilings, under floor, across walls, etc), the termination of the cables, the testing of the runs, moving equipment, etc... The portrait of what IT Pro's do on TV have greatly exaggerated :lol: Especially those commericals saying "Do our course and earn £35k..." :x

Hope this helps

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Theres loads of office jobs for doctors in Big Pharma and they pay quite well...

I've never run a cable in my life, I've spent about 14 years generally in a poorly lit basement coding behind a monitor, the few times I do see light I tend to hiss and cover my eyes !

5. zahmeds

zahmeds New Member

hi
    thanks alot for the advice
    wage drop? am on 18K working part time cause i cant walk for 10 hours a day. should be more than that right? the compTIA courses...are pricey. but is that what would be a good place to start: compTIA? SQL? should i take that on? train up in it? the whole problem is that i havent any IT interests...so how do i find out where to start? perhaps i'm asking for some hold my hand and show me guidance here :(. thanks

Certifications: MBChB (Medicine)
    WIP: Dont know