Help! Software Installation on Group Policy

Discussion in 'Software' started by TakeON, Dec 29, 2004.

1. TakeON

TakeON New Member

Hi

I use XP SP2. On my computer are 4 user accounts. One belongs to administrators group and other belongs to users group.

I need to install some software, i.e. Apache HTTP Server, Office 2003, MailWasherPro etc. And I want to Publish whese software just for one specific user, not for all.

I read a lot of documentation about software assinging and publishing to specific users, using Software Installation in Group Policy. But I still can't understand how to do this.

I have Apache HTTP Server Windows Installer file apache_2.0.52-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi. So, i distributed it with command:
    > msiexec /a apache_2.0.52-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi
    Now i have a distribute of Apace in my computer shared folder on E: hard drive.

Next, following instructions in MS helper, i need to create a GPO. So, i go to Start->Settings->Control Panel->Administrative Tools and..... i CAN'T find "Active directory users and computers"!!! Where it is? How to turn it on? Should it be in XP?

Now i run Group Policy:
    Start->Run
    Type gpedit.msc
    In Group Policy I go to Local Computer Policy->Computer Configuration->Software Settings and.... where is NO "Software Installation"!!! :( But how can i assing or publish software if where is no "Software installation"??????? Why where is no "Software installation"?

Can somebody explain me, what i do wrong? Maybe i do not understand or i miss something. Please help me, i read MSDN, Helpers and tutorials third day and can't find soliution :(

THANKS

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm familiar with the process of publishing and assigning software packages using Group Policy on an Active Directory domain but I've never considered doing it directly on a workstation using the local policy settings.

Rather than go through writing a ton of information, I'm posting a couple of links to the Microsoft database on the matter. I hope they help.

Using Group Policy to Install Software: Windows 2000 Server

Using Group Policy to Install Software: Windows Server 2003

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

The problem here I think is that you are trying to do this from an XP workstation to the same XP workstation. As far as I understand it you should be doing this from a Server OS to a workstation.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. OffSide

OffSide Nibble Poster

or try this here

Peace and Love

EDIT (J) : Tweaked the link for you, Offside

Certifications: N+ MCP 210
    WIP: MCSE