Help please

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by maccaman, Mar 18, 2009.

1. maccaman

maccaman Bit Poster

Hi everyone

I am sitting my 70-271 exam this friday morning and Im dying to pass it first time as it is my birthday on Sat and I want to be able to relax a bit!

I am fine with pretty much all of the objectives, but I am realy struggling with the concepts behind basic and dynamic disks and extending volumes etc.

I cant explain why, but I cant seem to get my head around the differences and it is driving me batty! :oops:

Is anyone able to provide me with a good link which might help me understand this area using a different method?! I understand this is a strange request and I could probably pass the exam with one bad area but I am a bit of a perfectionist and i am going around in circles here....

Thanks in advance and apologies if I have posted in the wrong area.

2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Does this help?

linky

Good luck for the exam on friday.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

Yes i struggled with that too,don't get too stressed out,you may not even see a question on this subject.

All i'd say for the exam is take your time,i could barely understand the questions, and had to read them repeatedly,but i still passed.

And yes you can pass the exam with one bad area,my bad area is networking.

Didn't you book a microsoft second chance offer just incase?I found that helped with the expectation,i knew i could fail and still be fine for a retry so the pressure was off really.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  4. maccaman

maccaman Bit Poster

Thanks for the tips and encouraging words folks.

I have managed to get a frail grasp on the differences between the two disks, its annoying how some things just dont make sense!!

Exam tomorrow morning, as you say del_port, I am looking at tomorrows test as a free practice run as I did book with second shot. Hopefully I wont need it but the pressure is off a little.

5. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Guess I'm a little late...
    Break a leg! and give us news. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  6. maccaman

maccaman Bit Poster

Thanks ferret!

Im reviewing the objectives and running the practice tests on the review suite today.... Nailing the objectives but struggling to get more than about 60% on the practice tests...

A few folks have said that the practice test in the review suite is harder than the actual test... I hope they are right! :oops:

A couple of questions on the practice test are regarding things I've never heard of...

7. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I hope they are right as well... I am in the exact same boat. I am taking my test tomorrow morning as well -depending on your location, maybe I will see you at the testing centre! I plan on hitting the practice tests hard today. If I can do well on them, and they are harder, the real thing should be a doddle... Anyway good luck and let us know how you get on.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  8. maccaman

maccaman Bit Poster

Back at ya!:thumbleft

9. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

I took the 70-271 last saturday, and I'd say the practice test on the MS press kit CD is harder.
    Concentrate on the areas you are weakest and all will go smoothly.

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  10. maccaman

maccaman Bit Poster

Well I failed. :(

Im not completely gutted as I wasn't fully ready and since I had 2nd shot, I thought I'd go ahead and have a look anyway. I got around 600 I think.

There were a quite a few questions that involved topics not even covered slightly in the books. I understand that some extra reading is recommended and I have scheduled that into my study plan over the next couple of weeks but.....

I have spent Mon, Tues and half of today meticulously going over the sections for Obj 5 only, (since it was my weakest in the exam), ie Chapter 10 and 11. I read and took detailed notes on each topic covered and each kb article listed in the press book. I performed strongly in the review questions so I thought I'd check on my progress with the readiness review suite.

I did a custom test, with Obj 5 questions only and found even more topics I had not covered mentioned in depth. VPN, ICS, I understand what these things are and how to configure them, but the knowledge of these topics in the RRS seemed to be expected to be a lot higher.

Sorry for the rant, but this is one of 5 objectives. I am finding it very hard to motivate myself to keep going on the other 4 after seemingly only just tapping into the surface of Obj 5..

The icon of banging a head against a wall could not be more appropriate....

11. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Oh well, better luck next time. At least you now know your weaknesses and can work on those.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Don't just read about those features - if you haven't already done so, actually USE them... lay your hands on the OS and configure those features. See what breaks when you try to get things to work.

Best of luck on your next attempt.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. maccaman

maccaman Bit Poster

Good advice mate, thanks. I'll do that.

14. maccaman

maccaman Bit Poster

Well I passed. :biggrin

Took the exam last Friday and got 766, so just by the skin of my teeth but a pass is a pass.

Thankyou to everyone who gave good advice across this forum, it has been invaluable, particularly the information about resources.

I used the MS Press book, some CBT videos and took the Trancender Practice Tests.

I studied about 4 hours a day for 5 weeks.

Onto the 272 now....

15. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

congrats on the pass, sounds like a well earned one. TBH I think it takes a bit of getting used to the way MS present questions as well as technical content. So you will find that in the next few exams it becomes easier picking the wheat from the chaff, which is half the battle.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

This is so true. Whilst I am the first to say that the MS questions are very much a comprehension exercise,(trying to find the question amongst it all is half the battle!) they are also very much break/fix - just like the real workplace.
    Personally, if break and fix (or just fix :) ) I understand it quicker and it lasts for longer.

Best of luck.

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT